Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

I'm trying to get my Altair GPCAM2 130M working on an old (Windwos XP) laptop. According to the Altair website the drivers and their software (Altair Capture) work on XP.

I've installed the software/drivers however when I plug the camera in device manager lists it as an unknown USB camera and cannot find the drivers and the capture software cannot detect the camera. I've tried contacted the Altair support forum but the link does not work, I've also tried Altair contact form on the website and had no response.

There is nothing wrong with the camera or USB cable as they work fine on another laptop.

So is the other laptop also running XP?

Peter

39 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

So is the other laptop also running XP?

Peter

No, the one that works is Windows 7. However it is very slow as it only has 1GB of ram, so I want to use the XP one as it has 2GB and is much faster. This shouldn't be a problem as Altair claim that the software/drivers are XP compatible.

James

Maybe the important word is "claim".

Peter

39 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Maybe the important word is "claim".

Peter

Well they list it as a supported OS, so it should work. If not they are probably breaking advertising laws.

James

It does mention SP 3, do you have the service pack on your XP machine ?

20 minutes ago, knobby said:

It does mention SP 3, do you have the service pack on your XP machine ?

I think so.

• Like 1

I do know that in the Linux and MacOS SDK, Altair silently dropped support for some camera models in the latest version.  I don't believe your camera is one of those affected, but if you don't have the latest drivers installed on the Win7 machine and you do have the original installer, perhaps it might be worth trying that on the winxp machine rather than the latest ones?  Bit of a last resort thing really...

James