SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tulip Nebula Sh2-101

carastro

Taken at astro camp in East Sussex on 13th May during a first quarter Moon. I last attempted this 5 years ago and have been meaning to come back to it.  

Hubble palette plus RGB stars.  My first image with a Baader 3.5nm Ha filter,  Still not sure whether it is any improvement on the 7nm.  

Atik428EX & SWED120 + FR
Ha 3.5nm 15 x 600
Oiii & Sii binned 300 x 8 each
RGB 4 x 100 binned Each
Mount HEQ5

Total imaging time 3 hours 50 mins on narrowband with a further 21mins for star colour in RGB. 

spacer.png

• Like 26

Nice Tulip Carole looks just like it's name.

You will not be surprised to know that I stuck the 10Micron back on the pier, PAd it, did a sky model and it all worked faultlessly, I think it's allergic to camping a bit like my wife :grin:

Dave

How annoying Dave.  Maybe you need a more straight forward mount for camping something like mine.  You do seem to spend a lot of time faffing around with that Micron at most camps.  

Thanks for the nice comments folks. 

Carole 

16 hours ago, carastro said:

Taken at astro camp in East Sussex on 13th May during a first quarter Moon. I last attempted this 5 years ago and have been meaning to come back to it.  

Hubble palette plus RGB stars.  My first image with a Baader 3.5nm Ha filter,  Still not sure whether it is any improvement on the 7nm.  

Atik428EX & SWED120 + FR
Ha 3.5nm 15 x 600
Oiii & Sii binned 300 x 8 each
RGB 4 x 100 binned Each
Mount HEQ5

Total imaging time 3 hours 50 mins on narrowband with a further 21mins for star colour in RGB. 

spacer.png

Very nice Carole! As others have said, it does indeed look like it's name. I'd maybe try and play with dropping the black point a tad though.

We have the same mount (HEQ5-Pro). I've often wondered if a SW 120ED was too much scope for it, but seeing that you are pulling off 10 min subs with this very same combo gives me all kinds of hope 😀

• Like 1

Thanks every-one.  

I'd maybe try and play with dropping the black point a tad though.

I do have a tendency to stretch the background to show the underlying nebulosity, but I'll try dropping it a little.

Carole 

I think this is more photogenic in NB than in natural colour where you don't get the same variety.

I think you are right Olly, I could say the same for a few more targets as well.

Carole 

14 hours ago, carastro said:

Is this better?

spacer.png

I don't see any differences between this and the original Carole. Did you post the wrong one by mistake?

ps - How does your HEQ5-Pro handle the 120ED? What's your typical RMS, and are all your subs usually keepers? 

The image is only slightly darker in the background. 

HEQ5 handles ED120 fine.  All subs are keepers from guiding point of view.  Not sure what RMS was as didn’t look but guiding was pretty smooth.  I use a finderguider.  I have done 15mins and even 20 mins subs with this combo in the past and on one occasion even 30 min subs.  

In the past l even did some imaging  with the ed80 mounted on top of the ED120 as part of a dual rig on the HEQ5.  It turned out ok but l felt it was pushing it a bit so didn’t repeat this.   

HTH

carole

Edited by carastro

I don't see any differences between this and the original Carole. Did you post the wrong one by mistake?

I have amended the sky background a bit more, but don;t want to lose the background nebulosity. 

spacer.png