SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

150 Mak vs 180Mak. Decisions decisions...

4 hours ago, George Gearless said:

I did consider your recommendation. You supplied me with a precise answer to the question. Alas, not the one I was hoping for 😀.

Here's my reasoning for going with the 180 afterall.

An EQ6 would definately be more suitable for this telescope. Looking at the numbers on the datasheets, it's hard to disagree that I am juuuust hanging on with my fingernails. However, I am not fincancialy capable of buying both at the same time. In time I will be getting the EQ6. Some time in the future. But for now, I have to make a choice. Even if I am just scraping along, I feel confident that I will be getting a lot of useful viewing time out of it with my current mount. And here's the clinching argument: When I do get a better mount, I won't be 'stuck' with a 150 Mak and feel that I have compromized. I just know I will be kicking myself.

If all goes well, I can probably afford a better mount in time for the next winter season to start. Worst case, it'll be next year. In the mean time I don't think my setup is completely useless. It's just not as good as it can be.

The good thing George is that either a HEQ5 Pro or Eq6 even an AZ EQ 6, there are plenty of them about and all come up secondhand. Sadly weight prevents sending them far and often collection is the best option. I did actually sell my HEQ 5 Pro to someone in the UK and sent it via courier for 26 quid, though as agreed with only 1 counterweight as it was sold with even though I had 2. I see the value of going for the 180mm, it will make you save harder but consider S/H, it is a shame I am not in the UK as I said my 180mm is not doing enough work, and even though I have sent most things via courier, a telescope is not one of them.  Good luck.

Alan

Use the scope now and let us know, confirm about the issues, test it first and then judge later, if you can manage to keep the target in the view for at least 2 minutes then you are fine, most of my images are up to 3 minutes only, so it isn't a big deal, mostly with the moon because we have a good seeing i sometimes don't go more than 1 minute video anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

So, I got the 180 Mak from FLO and immediately set about dry-training with it. Once balanced, the EQM-35 Pro mount handled movement seemingly without struggling even the slightest. I'll admit I let out a small sigh of relief.

Due to constantly overcast skies, I hadn't been able to test it properly until yesterday. The night sky didn't offer much to look at and I only had a small window of opportunity before clouds once again would be rolling in. But I quickly confirmed the optics to be as I have come to expect of Skywatcher Maks; really great. I could have used a bit more cooldown time though, to get the really crisp images. But it was a spur of the moment thing so I just dragged everything outside without being able to plan for cooldown time.

Many have pointed out that you really should get a focuser for this Mak. I've found that a clothes-peg fitted on the standard focuser knob, serves as a way to gear the whole thing down. Works great. So great that I've even abandoned considering buying an extremely costly focuser altogether. I genuinely don't need it.

And now for the final test for the EQM-35 mount: Astrophotography.

I added the couplings, 'noses' and DSLR and focused on Arcturus. You know, just to have a clear target to test. My polar alignment was quick and dirty so I was readying myself for trails beginning at 1½ minute or so. I was delighted to see that the star was a solid dot on my screen even after 2 mins. I was unable to test further because of clouds rolling in. So, no wobbling back and forth in the field as I had feared. It seems that the EQM-35 mount is perfectly capable of handling this weight and type of telescope. In fairness, it should be said, that I don't think it leaves much room for 'growth'. But for now, I am happy as can be. 

Now I am only wishing the moon or one of the planets would hurry up and present themselves at a viewable hour. That's going to be the ultimate test for my mount and my new Mak 180.

If my neighbour didn't have two big trees covering the immediate southernly direction, I could've had a shot at Jupiter or Saturn. They'd be really low over the horizon, so photography was not going to be an option regardless. But I would have loved to have a good look. I've never had a telescope with this much power before. So I am really excited about what I get to see.

By the way; what is that program you are using? Star Safari?

13 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It’s Luminos 9.5 on the iPad.

My favourite app for the job. Just so easy to use but has real depth to it and does everything I want. Now works with Synscan as well.

Looks really good.

Too bad I only use PC/Android. 

On 15/05/2019 at 16:34, George Gearless said:

Hey guys.

I am in the very fortunate positon to be able to 'burn' €670 that I received as a gift, and I want to upgrade my 127 Mak to either the Skywatcher 150 or the Skywatcher 180. 

Hi George

Sorry this is more of a question than answer to your post. Sorry. Hope you don't mind! I read this post with interest.

I am considering a SW MAK 127 as a more portable smaller option from my current SW newt. Grateful for your views as a current user and owner. I'm just after general observing lunar and planets etc at this time. Maybe stick slr on for general photos etc nothing too adventurous. 

I've read good reviews about the scope but can't decide between MAK or Refractor. But really portability with good viewability is what I'm after.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Many thanks.

3 hours ago, Extreme007 said:

Hi George

Sorry this is more of a question than answer to your post. Sorry. Hope you don't mind! I read this post with interest.

I am considering a SW MAK 127 as a more portable smaller option from my current SW newt. Grateful for your views as a current user and owner. I'm just after general observing lunar and planets etc at this time. Maybe stick slr on for general photos etc nothing too adventurous. 

I've read good reviews about the scope but can't decide between MAK or Refractor. But really portability with good viewability is what I'm after.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Many thanks.

Not a problem Extreme.

If the moon and planets are your main targets, a Mak is definitely the way to go. A 10mm and a 20mm eyepiece will give you a good range. You may already have those for your reflector.

Heres a small video I took with my Mak127 on my AZ-GTI mount last year. It's nothing fancy and was only recorded for my own amusement. No post-processing what so ever. It's just uploaded as it was on the SD card. But it'll give you an idea of what to expect. Mucking about with my Mak.

If you want to get into deep sky targets such as nebulae photography, I'd say a refractor is your best bet. But being successful in this endeavor places great demands on your mount and a lot of other equipment. Without being too assertive, I sense that a Mak would be the right way to go for you at this stage Besides, no one is stopping you from getting a refractor as well later on, right? 😁

But can you take a picture of a nebulae with a Mak 127 and a beginners AZ- goto mount? Well, you CAN do it. But the result is not impressive. This picture was taken with my Mak127 and my AZ-Goto GTI mount and an old Nikon DSLR. It's grimy, poorly detailed, the colours are off....but I was (and still am) terribly pleased with it! Mainly because most people will tell you that you can't take pictures of nebulae with a Mak. Of all the pictures I've taken, this is the one I remember best. Your reflector will likely outperform the Mak for this type of target by a long shot.

Mak127-Orion.thumb.jpg.60772597ee8bb4e04bd5faa26059a8be.jpg

One other small point in favor or the Mak that I'd like to point out is that they are notoriously sturdy and virtually maintenance free. This is a scope that you can literally throw in your backpack with your mount and go on your bike to a dark area for hours of enjoyable viewing (I'm not just saying this. I've done it). And the scope won't be worse for wear on that account. 

My vote is for the Mak.

George.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, George Gearless said:

Not a problem Extreme.

If the moon and planets are your main targets, a Mak is definitely the way to go. A 10mm and a 20mm eyepiece will give you a good range. You may already have those for your reflector.

Heres a small video I took with my Mak127 on my AZ-GTI mount last year. It's nothing fancy and was only recorded for my own amusement. No post-processing what so ever. It's just uploaded as it was on the SD card. But it'll give you an idea of what to expect. Mucking about with my Mak.

If you want to get into deep sky targets such as nebulae photography, I'd say a refractor is your best bet. But being successful in this endeavor places great demands on your mount and a lot of other equipment. Without being too assertive, I sense that a Mak would be the right way to go for you at this stage Besides, no one is stopping you from getting a refractor as well later on, right? 😁

But can you take a picture of a nebulae with a Mak 127 and a beginners AZ- goto mount? Well, you CAN do it. But the result is not impressive. This picture was taken with my Mak127 and my AZ-Goto GTI mount and an old Nikon DSLR. It's grimy, poorly detailed, the colours are off....but I was (and still am) terribly pleased with it! Mainly because most people will tell you that you can't take pictures of nebulae with a Mak. Of all the pictures I've taken, this is the one I remember best. Your reflector will likely outperform the Mak for this type of target by a long shot.

Mak127-Orion.thumb.jpg.60772597ee8bb4e04bd5faa26059a8be.jpg

One other small point in favor or the Mak that I'd like to point out is that they are notoriously sturdy and virtually maintenance free. This is a scope that you can literally throw in your backpack with your mount and go on your bike to a dark area for hours of enjoyable viewing (I'm not just saying this. I've done it). And the scope won't be worse for wear on that account. 

My vote is for the Mak.

George.

Thanks George for your very comprehensive response. I'm convinced now this is my next step for my needs. And yes you are right I can make further purchases down the line 😃!:mustn't tell the wife! As it's going to happen. 

Would like a good goto mount eventually the eq6 is really appealing and I think would future proof my needs but that is some way off for me and abilities at this time. One small step....... 😎 no point going to far too soon.

Nice pic btw. Really impressive without goto. I'm not at the pic stage just yet still very much visual and finding my way around.

Anyway happy days off to see if the used Mak127 is still available. 

Thanks again for your time and advice much appreciated.