sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Hi

The older Celestron CG5 mount had 3 retaining screws that allowed the polar finder scope to be rotated 360 deg when mounted. Newer finders are screw fit but what to do if once the finder scope is inserted and tightened only to find that the vertical axis of the finder display is not at 90deg from horizontal plane?

The 3 screws only allow for centering the reticule and I would need to disassemble the finder to rotate the reticule holder but how can I be sure that when put back together it will be correctly aligned?

I am referring to the skywatcher HM5 for the EQ3/5 mount.

Thanks in advance

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By sulaco
      I’ve just bought stellar mate but haven’t had it outside yet, can anyone tell me if there is a polar alignment function on the mobile app. I can see there’s one update in the forthcoming version about an improved alignment but before I bought it the online info seems to suggest it’s part of it and not just on the desktop version which I already use. 
    • By BillKinn
      Hello everyone, I'm wondering if I could get some help, sort of ripping my hair out a little.
      I have the EXOS2 PMC-8 and last night I used Sharpcap to Polar align, I set the mount up as usual and adjusted until Sharpcap said excellent Polar alignment.
      So my next step was to do a 3 star alignment  I was using a program called Explorer Stars to achieve this, so when I asked the mount to slew to the first star it was way off even in the finder scope, is that normal? So I used the controls to get the star in my FOV and centred it, it was the same for the next two stars way off. so I did the same.
      I finished the 3 star alignment and when I asked the mount to find an object the object was not centred it was bottom right of the quick photo I took.
      I've made sure all the information is correct by setting my Longitude and Latitude and also made sure my time is correct, the mount is balanced and level and pointing North. I think I'm doing something wrong somewhere.
      Also may I ask should my counterweight bar be parallel with the mounts front leg? I have two little arrows on the mount that should be pointing at each other when in the home position but when they are the counterweight bar is pointing to the right quite a fair bit.
      I'm new to all this only been doing it for a few months so a lot of things are quite confusing.     
      Thanks in advance Bill. 

• By isabe
      Hi,
      I’m looking for a polar scope for my skywatcher eq3-2 mount ASAP, please let me know.
    • By JMH
      Morning! I've just taken delivery of a Sky-Watcher StarQuest 102 MC. It's all set up BUT apparently I need to polar align it to be able to see anything? Please don't eye-roll me but I'm a total beginner and my usual go-to for instructions is videos but there don't seem to be many on the StarQuest series. Do I have this right; the tripod needs to point north. Then put my latitude adjustment knob to my own latitude which is 51.
      Should that be all I need to do?
      Thank you so much in advance for any help or tips!
    • By R1k
      Hi guys, new to SG lounge and new to the hobby. I have just bought my first EQ Mount (Used 2018 model HEQ5 pro, belt modded). 

I hate to be the newbie to ask questions about polar alignment, but I have what I hope to be a relatively simple question to answer, yet have had no luck with the search bar.

When my mount is in the home position (counterweight bar down) and tripod north my polar scope reticle is orientated as per the attached photograph (photo 1). When I was reading prior to getting the mount I had simply assumed that the reticle would be oriented with 0 being directly at the top and 6 at the bottom when in home position. As this is not the case, my question regards what I do during the process of polar alignment.
      Do I rotate the R.A. so that 0 is at the top and 6 is at the bottom and then place Polaris in the relevant position as per my iOS polar alignment app (photo 2) or do I need to somehow rotate the reticle within the polar scope such that the reticle is orientated vertically in the home position?
      Are the date and time dials on the mount itself obsolete now that we have the privilege of apps that do the work for us?
      Apologies if this is a basic question that has been covered before. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.