Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
ARP1954

Polar finder collimation

Hi

The older Celestron CG5 mount had 3 retaining screws that allowed the polar finder scope to be rotated 360 deg when mounted. Newer finders are screw fit but what to do if once the finder scope is inserted and tightened only to find that the vertical axis of the finder display is not at 90deg from horizontal plane?

The 3 screws only allow for centering the reticule and I would need to disassemble the finder to rotate the reticule holder but how can I be sure that when put back together it will be correctly aligned?

I am referring to the skywatcher HM5 for the EQ3/5 mount.

Thanks in advance

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stargazer33
      C9.25; CGEM; ES 3× tele extender; Zwo ADC; QHY5LIIc Captured in EZP, sorted & centred in PIPP, stacked in Autostakkert2, wavelets in RS6, final processing in PS CS4 extended.
    • By Dkblow
      Hi Guys,
      Desperately need help here. I have recently got a setup Skywatcher 200 with EQ5 so a newbiee me. Anyway I am setting up Polar alignment perfect. Using compas, mount bolts and lat is spot on. GPS and time is also spot on. Using 3 star alignment as well as 2 star alignment. Synscan goes to the first star which is not even in FOV of the finder scope, Then I use hand held to get it in view and alligned. Second star nearly is on target and with handheld I align using the handheld. 3 rd star is also way out. Once aligned I go to an object  which does not center at all and is in the top left of the FOV. I have to keep re-aligning every 15 min to see anything. However Polaris remains where it should be using polar alignment scope. What am I missing? Pls help 
    • By steppenwolf
      The QHYCCD PoleMaster polar alignment system is generating a lot of interest and it certainly seems to work very well indeed. The process is very simple and following the on-screen prompts makes it quite easy to achieve a very good polar alignment but the instruction manual does come in for a lot of criticism. Sooooooo ....... I''m sure you can guess what's coming .......
      My own version of the Polemaster manual - enjoy!
      PoleMaster User Manual English UK Northern Hemisphere.pdf

• By PESKYWAABBIT
      Been waiting for days in anticipation for the first clear night with my new SW 200P reflector and HEQ5 mount.  I found instantly that I couldn't locate the North Star due to bloody trees and also the moon was so bright it made all other objects so much more dim in my scope. The Polaris Alignment scope LED's are so bright I couldn't align any star in the scope at all, let alone see through it. I did check it was clear and it didn't have the cap on or the weight bar obstructing it. I tried adjusting the brightness but found no settings in the SynScan handset for my model! I also found out that my clock ring rotates even if I lock them to the specific axis. (Annoying)
      In the end, instead of just messing around trying to align the damn thing I just span it around and zeroed in on the moon and other stars. I found pretty quickly that I can only focus on the moon IF I use a 2X barlow lense in the chain and that the focuser doesn't move back as far as my older Vixen refractor. 
      Anywayyyy to make the most out of the full moon and the fact it was clear I took some photos and made a mosaic out of 54 individual photo's I took. The original photo is 388MB, so I've uploaded a much smaller version.
      My first proper AstroPhotography photo, any thoughts or solutions to the problems I found on my first night out? I'm hoping the next time I go out, it's much smoother.
      Enjoy.
      - Pesky

• By DeepSkyMan
      Hi there, has anyone ever used this or something similar:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5950_90--comfortable-View-for-your-Polar-Finder.html

Would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the use of such an accessory.  Strikes me our knees, backs and necks would be most appreciative :-)

Kind Regards
      Paul J.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.