Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Golden Handle

Relpet

The moon is really putting on a show these last few days.  Having had great pleasure just observing last night I thought I'd do the same tonight until I looked through the finder and the Golden Handle leapt into view.  Back to the house for the camera.

12" Dob, 2 x 2" Televue PowerMate, Canon 500d 125th second at ISO 100.

IMG_4938 gh.jpg

IMG_4941 gh.jpg

• Like 4

I caught my 1st view of that last night through 10x50s, just as the light hit the top of it. An amazing sight to a newcomer like me, a small handle was exactly what it looked like. Am I right in thinking that's no.14 on the lunar 100?

2 hours ago, Dark Vader said:

I caught my 1st view of that last night through 10x50s, just as the light hit the top of it. An amazing sight to a newcomer like me, a small handle was exactly what it looked like. Am I right in thinking that's no.14 on the lunar 100?

The flooded impact crater crater that the feature forms part of the rim of (sinus iridum) is number 14 on the lunar 100 - so I guess yes it is on the list but not as the 'golden handle' feature in its own right if you see what I mean?

Steve

Thanks Steve, all understood. I was out at around 7.20 trying to show my son how to work his small table scope, he got bored and went off playing. I picked up the bins again and just saw the rim appear as the light hit. Spent the next 20 mins trying to find out what I'd just seen.

Tomorrow night, the 16th, we might get a view of the Clair obscure effect, it's known as Cassin's Moon Maiden,

it's found at the bottom of the Golden Handle, part of Promontorium Heraclides.

Edited by ronl
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 15/05/2019 at 18:47, ronl said:

Tomorrow night, the 16th, we might get a view of the Clair obscure effect, it's known as Cassin's Moon Maiden,

it's found at the bottom of the Golden Handle, part of Promontorium Heraclides.

Have to wait for next month.  Totally clouded over here but thanks for the tip.

• Like 1