Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Paz

Tips for observing the moon in daylight

Recommended Posts

Sometimes I'll have limited opportunities to observe meaning that the choice I have is observing the moon in daylight or not observing at all.

I've tried things like polarising filters and filters that cut out blue light (E.g. green, yellow, orange, etc) and these sometimes help.

I was wondering if there's any other ideas that may help that others have tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Baader Neodymium filter which seems to help generally and also when observing during daylight. I had some good views yesterday evening for instance well before it got dark. Not sure how it would compare with any other filters you have tried, but it keeps a fairly neutral tone so is one I enjoy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The polarising filter won't help, I feel.  For best results, just leave it as late as possible.  I've had some great lunar views over recent evenings while it was still lightish, and before the stars came out.  In fact, viewing then is arguably ideal because the lunar glare is not too strong.  It's like viewing planets in twilight, which is often better than viewing in dark conditions.

Doug.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stu said:

I have a Baader Neodymium filter which seems to help generally and also when observing during daylight. I had some good views yesterday evening for instance well before it got dark. Not sure how it would compare with any other filters you have tried, but it keeps a fairly neutral tone so is one I enjoy.

Thanks, I've got an ND0.9 lying around somewhere, I'll give that go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

The polarising filter won't help, I feel.  For best results, just leave it as late as possible.  I've had some great lunar views over recent evenings while it was still lightish, and before the stars came out.  In fact, viewing then is arguably ideal because the lunar glare is not too strong.  It's like viewing planets in twilight, which is often better than viewing in dark conditions.

Doug.

When I can I go out late but often that's not possible. Sometimes the views in daylight can be good fun.

I agree about planetary views, the best views I've had of Venus were in twilight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paz said:

 

I agree about planetary views, the best views I've had of Venus were in twilight.

Try it on Jupiter - marvellous.  The GRS shows up really well!

Doug.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.