SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tips for observing the moon in daylight

Paz

Sometimes I'll have limited opportunities to observe meaning that the choice I have is observing the moon in daylight or not observing at all.

I've tried things like polarising filters and filters that cut out blue light (E.g. green, yellow, orange, etc) and these sometimes help.

I was wondering if there's any other ideas that may help that others have tried.

I have a Baader Neodymium filter which seems to help generally and also when observing during daylight. I had some good views yesterday evening for instance well before it got dark. Not sure how it would compare with any other filters you have tried, but it keeps a fairly neutral tone so is one I enjoy.

• Like 1

The polarising filter won't help, I feel.  For best results, just leave it as late as possible.  I've had some great lunar views over recent evenings while it was still lightish, and before the stars came out.  In fact, viewing then is arguably ideal because the lunar glare is not too strong.  It's like viewing planets in twilight, which is often better than viewing in dark conditions.

Doug.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I have a Baader Neodymium filter which seems to help generally and also when observing during daylight. I had some good views yesterday evening for instance well before it got dark. Not sure how it would compare with any other filters you have tried, but it keeps a fairly neutral tone so is one I enjoy.

Thanks, I've got an ND0.9 lying around somewhere, I'll give that go.

1 hour ago, cloudsweeper said:

The polarising filter won't help, I feel.  For best results, just leave it as late as possible.  I've had some great lunar views over recent evenings while it was still lightish, and before the stars came out.  In fact, viewing then is arguably ideal because the lunar glare is not too strong.  It's like viewing planets in twilight, which is often better than viewing in dark conditions.

Doug.

When I can I go out late but often that's not possible. Sometimes the views in daylight can be good fun.

I agree about planetary views, the best views I've had of Venus were in twilight.

• Like 1