Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

Posted (edited)

Heres my OO VX12 (short tube) with encoders that i recently fitted.

32793913728_d4ac15517f_c.jpg  46616171372_c2c5c49851_c.jpg

Edited by Tubby Bear

Posted (edited)

On my old OD350 with Stelkarcat used a perspex disk which was also for the alt drive and the encoder could be removed easily.

E401477D-8277-41C5-84CC-0FE9FDA4D26A.jpeg

6AC6E5FF-9BC0-4005-A26E-AEE82A652EF4.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JG777 said:

Have a read here http://www.astrodevices.com/AllAboutDSCs/index.html

Encoders are small rotary devices that measure a mounts position in altitude and azimuth. They send a signal via cable to a unit that is pre loaded with astro objects, and the user just pushes the scope into position usually following the guide arrows and co-ordinates on the units screen. Once the co-ordinates are "zeroed" the telescope will be pointing at the chosen object. This is referred to as "Push to". Advantages are silent running, custom catalogs, fast easy set up and minimal power requirements. Disadvantage is cost ( more than GOTO usually ) and some folk do not like nudging their scopes to view objects. Personally I really like it and have two set ups, but I am not very good at finding stuff manually and my local skies have a fair amount of LP.

Thanks for the explanation I understand now :)

I actually enjoy finding the process stuff manually, sometimes I fail but it's fun anyway :) so probably won't be installing electronics...

And those 2 mounts look great, but maybe I'm not patient enough to make them precisely... I'll think about it more...

Posted (edited)

This guy apparently also sells a TS carbon tube upgrade for the scope, for a small increase in price. 

Do you think it would be possible to use it with AZ4? It should be lighter with carbon, but still too long or?

Although the white tube looks better which shouldn't be an issue, but somehow is... 😊

EDIT: I'll go see the scope in a few weeks as it's not very close to me, otherwise I would have probably decided by now (or maybe)...  🍇

Edited by Ignoro