Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Darkness in the North America Nebula

Allinthehead

When i sold my Epsilon i knew i could well end up regretting it, but i have to say i'm impressed with the quality of the Esprit 100, nice round stars and a distinct lack of diffraction spikes. Considering this is only 4 hours through a large amount of atmosphere given it's low elevation i think it has turned out okay.

It took two nights to capture the data and i had an issue with my autofocus on the second night where i lost almost 2 hours in subs that were well off focus, no idea why it happened yet. I also had an issue where my guide star would just shoot off in Dec, again needs further investigation. There's always something.

I have serious fetish for dark nebula and the dark dust in emission nebula, so in this image i tried to highlight just that.

The dark dust here obscures the emission areas and perhaps even the star thought to be the source of ionisation for the Nebula J205551.3+435225.

Link for anyone interested. http://www.caha.es/newsletter/news05b/Comeron/ngc7000.html

4 hrs in 300 second subs with an Asi 1600 and an astrodon 5nm ha filter. Unity gain -20C.

Mount: AZEQ6

Stacked in APP 2*drizzle

Processed in APP and PS

Hope you like it, and please click on image for higher quality.

Richard.

1223159955_North_am_drizzle4hr.thumb.jpg.e90074c04116cf32a4be1b9a43ad8cd0.jpg

Edited by Allinthehead
Forgot capture details
  • Like 12

Very nice! - I like it a lot.

I have been imaging the nearby Sadr region using my ASI1600 at unity gain and -20C but with just 120s exposures through a Samyang 135mm at f2. As I am still very new to the ASI1600 can ask what offset you used - was it 50?

Thank you.

Adrian

6 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Beautiful Richard. Nice one mate.

Thank you kindly Ahmed.

2 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Very nice indeed, low it don't hardly get up at all here yet, 4 in the morning maybe, er I'm in bed. Our weather is poor at the moment, actually think of putting the heating on.

Alan

Thanks Alan. You've gone from one extreme to another with the temperature over there.

4 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Very nice! - I like it a lot.

I have been imaging the nearby Sadr region using my ASI1600 at unity gain and -20C but with just 120s exposures through a Samyang 135mm at f2. As I am still very new to the ASI1600 can ask what offset you used - was it 50?

Thank you.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian. I'll look forward to seeing your image. The 1600 and the 135 are a great combination. 

I just used the unity gain setting which automatically sets the offset. I think it's 50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Interesting thanks. Many online sources still quote Deneb as a possible ionizing source but reading the linked article that seems unlikely.

You're welcome. Some sources also quote HD 199579 as the offender.

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:42, Allinthehead said:

When i sold my Epsilon i knew i could well end up regretting it, but i have to say i'm impressed with the quality of the Esprit 100, nice round stars and a distinct lack of diffraction spikes. Considering this is only 4 hours through a large amount of atmosphere given it's low elevation i think it has turned out okay.

It took two nights to capture the data and i had an issue with my autofocus on the second night where i lost almost 2 hours in subs that were well off focus, no idea why it happened yet. I also had an issue where my guide star would just shoot off in Dec, again needs further investigation. There's always something.

I have serious fetish for dark nebula and the dark dust in emission nebula, so in this image i tried to highlight just that.

The dark dust here obscures the emission areas and perhaps even the star thought to be the source of ionisation for the Nebula J205551.3+435225.

Link for anyone interested. http://www.caha.es/newsletter/news05b/Comeron/ngc7000.html

4 hrs in 300 second subs with an Asi 1600 and an astrodon 5nm ha filter. Unity gain -20C.

Mount: AZEQ6

Stacked in APP 2*drizzle

Processed in APP and PS

Hope you like it, and please click on image for higher quality.

Richard.

1223159955_North_am_drizzle4hr.thumb.jpg.e90074c04116cf32a4be1b9a43ad8cd0.jpg

The early bird catches the NAN!

Looks great Richard. Not sure why exactly, but my eye is drawn to the upper-left, and the teeny tiny stars look great 👌

Do you plan on adding any other filters to this?

ps - Glad the Esprit is working out great for you 😀

Edited by Xiga

I love the way some of the floating dust is so clearly in the foreground.

Regarding F ratio, I've become rather skeptical about it, suspecting that it does not necessarily do what it says on the tin...

Olly

17 hours ago, Xiga said:

The early bird catches the NAN!

Looks great Richard. Not sure why exactly, but my eye is drawn to the upper-left, and the teeny tiny stars look great 👌

Do you plan on adding any other filters to this?

ps - Glad the Esprit is working out great for you 😀

Thanks Ciarán. No plan for adding filters i'm afraid, i don't have any others. 

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I love the way some of the floating dust is so clearly in the foreground.

Regarding F ratio, I've become rather skeptical about it, suspecting that it does not necessarily do what it says on the tin...

Olly

Thanks Olly. I'm with you on that. Maybe on a given aperature, all other things equal then F ratio does what it says on the tin.