Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flaming star and astro darkness

spacer.png

Finally had a go at putting together my data on the  Flaming star. 2nd proper image and a first try in PixInsight using  Ha and Sii. I had about 3 hours Oiii but it was very weak.I guess I could image rg b to add to it later.

I thought that was the end of the season as there is no more astro darkness in North east England. Does anyone still image and get good data as I've noticed a few folks still posting new images. Maybe further South? 

Thanks

2019-05-14_09-26-02.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

Check the Clear Outside App by @FLO for the hours of Astro darkness in your area. There is still some ‘available’ albeit short for imaging.

Thanks. Yes I use that and it's great. My question was really 'do folks image without astro darkness?' .. as I've definately got non left as of last week! 

9 minutes ago, Craig123 said:

Thanks. Yes I use that and it's great. My question was really 'do folks image without astro darkness?' .. as I've definately got non left as of last week! 

I imaged RGB of the whale last weekend, havent processed it yet, but I had zero astro darkness at the time!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I imaged RGB of the whale last weekend, havent processed it yet, but I had zero astro darkness at the time!

Thanks tooth Dr. Maybe I need to rethink my commitment. Interesting to hear this. 

4 hours ago, Craig123 said:

Ha.. Yeah but it got me thinking. Just putting everything away till August might not be a good thing as there is still a few (dozen) things to figure out... 

Hi Craig

I imaged this in July last year, I don’t really pack my gear away. Ever.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi Craig

I imaged this in July last year, I don’t really pack my gear away. Ever.

Yes.. That's a great image with detail I never imagined possible for summer months. I'm convinced...the gear stays put in the conservatory although I won't be too popular with the rest of the family. Was it do e with SW Ed80 as that is the scope I'm using? .. I tried to get the lens cell off to clean it but it won't budge. 

Edited by Craig123

10 hours ago, Craig123 said:

Yes.. That's a great image with detail I never imagined possible for summer months. I'm convinced...the gear stays put in the conservatory although I won't be too popular with the rest of the family. Was it do e with SW Ed80 as that is the scope I'm using? .. I tried to get the lens cell off to clean it but it won't budge. 

I've a few from last summer because I just bought my first cooled camera and wanted to try it out.

This is the data I was talking about RGB stacks out of APP.  There is about 50 minutes of data in each colour.   I used flats but these were hastily taken so I need to redo them properly as they are correcting.  I managed to salvage them in APP light pollution removal tool, and got a decent result using luminance taken on the 4th and 5th of May.

RGB_STACKS.thumb.jpg.7ad0465f44ed2f2c94877707b3bdf76a.jpg

• Like 1

I Imaged all through last summer especially in  H Alpha.  I'll do the same again this year.

The only thing that I found was that you have to be a bit more aware of haze, or thin cloud. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, don4l said:

I Imaged all through last summer especially in  H Alpha.  I'll do the same again this year.

The only thing that I found was that you have to be a bit more aware of haze, or thin cloud. 

Definitely agreed with that.  I hate to 'waste' a clear night, but it's quite demanding due to the lateness of getting started.  3 nights in a row and I'm busted

9 hours ago, don4l said:

Good to hear. I can at least try things out.. Eqmod not set up yet etc..even if I don't get anything good😊

13 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I've a few from last summer because I just bought my first cooled camera and wanted to try it out.

This is the data I was talking about RGB stacks out of APP.  There is about 50 minutes of data in each colour.   I used flats but these were hastily taken so I need to redo them properly as they are correcting.  I managed to salvage them in APP light pollution removal tool, and got a decent result using luminance taken on the 4th and 5th of May.

RGB_STACKS.thumb.jpg.7ad0465f44ed2f2c94877707b3bdf76a.jpg

Very nice. Its a target I would like to try. I have Ed80 with an Atik 314 mono so I will have a look at field of view on this one.