Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Taff

A new problem have developed with the altitude part on the mount

Hi' Yesterday i removed the both bolts from my NEQ6 mount and moved the  pointer up to 55 degree .Then placed the both bolts back into the mount ready to move the mount down to 51 degree.The front bolt was turning fine but with the back bolt with the handle when screwing it in the hole had some play with it when turning it.Even screwing the bolt right to the end of the thread  to the mount then the looseness  had stopped.But when it was time to tighten the front bolt it went past 51 degree where i went the mount to stop.The bolts are new and there are no bends on them.I don't go to any astronomy clubs' for help or any advice because of my illness, i only go on forums and on here Thanks.Mark

Could you have stripped the thread ?  If so the solution isn't too bad as long you have access to some taps, i.e. just tap the next size up, and fit the appropriate bolt.

If i tap the thread hole in the mount then use plumber tape around the bolt  will that way work?.

Give it a go, but to be on the safe side, but personally, I'd go for the next size up.

Are the bolts different lengths and you have the round the wrong way?

Mike

Yes Mike' The bolts are different lengths and they are new ones.The longer bolt with the handle is in the back of the mount.And the shorter bolt is in the front.Mark