Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

tooth_dr

OAG wanted

Still looking, want to try this with my 250px to see if guiding is improved over the use of a finderguider.

1 hour ago, Jkulin said:

Adam, give the ZWO OAG a go, it's only £105 from FLO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-accessories/zwo-off-axis-guider-oag.html

Its a really cheap way to see how you go with it and it's narrow so with a bit of messing you should be able to keep your back focus.

HTH

Thanks John,

I have looked at that one, and it comes with all the necessary adapters too.  Maybe someone has a used one

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks John,

I have looked at that one, and it comes with all the necessary adapters too.  Maybe someone has a used one

I have three OAG's Adam, A Celestron version, which is superb but no good if you have to maintain a 55mm back focus as it is 43mm wide! The Moravian MKII OAG that I ordered especially to go with my camera and FW is a pile of pooh, it uses a small mirror and the combined distance of the camera, FW and OAG is 55mm, so it is perfect if you use the Moravian Guide Camera but rather challenging if you use something like the Lodestar that I use, I fear that I will have to use it though because of the rather nice CC that I have bought for the VX10 specifies a 55mm Back focus 😞 , I bought the ZWO because it is really thin 16-17mm however I will have to have a faceplate machined to accommodate it and that will be my preference when using the VX10.

• Thanks 1

I'd recommend taking a look at the Orion TOAG. I chose it over the ZWO because it's solid and doesn't have the flexure problems that some of the ZWO have. It's also only 10.5mm wide, which for me makes a big difference. I just received mine, and really like it. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet though. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Saj_37uk said:

I'd recommend taking a look at the Orion TOAG. I chose it over the ZWO because it's solid and doesn't have the flexure problems that some of the ZWO have. It's also only 10.5mm wide, which for me makes a big difference. I just received mine, and really like it. I haven't had a chance to take it out yet though. 

Thanks for the input Saj.

I don’t seem to be that limited for space. Currently have approx 30mm to work with.  That’s it focused with the CCD, FW and CC correctly spaced. An OAG should in nicely in there  

695B64EB-F237-4810-A6F4-B4D50DA36765.jpeg

Adam, have you seen this?

10 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Adam, have you seen this?

Most of the bits for the Orion TOAG are there, it only appears to be missing the 2" m48 extension tube, easily replaceable. It looks like it has the c mount to t thread adapter - this needs to be verified as it's quite important.