Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M5 Globular LRGB - 12 May 2019

geoflewis

With the planets too low this year for successful imaging, permanent astro twilight almost upon us and a bright 1st qtr Moon riding high last night I decided to capture the bright globular cluster M5 whilst experimenting with different PHD2 guide algorithms. I used PPEC for RA guiding and Hysteresis for Dec both for the first time. I had excellent guiding of <0.5" total RMS with both axes reporting ~0.33" over 3.5 hours (excluding dither excurtsions). Here is the resulting image, which came out pretty well considering the bright background sky.

M5_LRGB_IP65.thumb.jpg.ed5a4f50e7ddad7885f0c3ecdddde2a0.jpg

LRGB: 30:15:15:15 x 120s

The data was captured with the QSI583wsg using SGP through my C14XLT + x0.63 Optec telecompresor lens, with a Lodesar X2 for guiding. Calibration and post processed using Registar and ImagesPlus6.5.

Thanks for looking.

Geof

• Like 13

Thanks Donal, it's good to have some bright RGB targets to image during the summer months, and/or when the Moon is around. I'm having a go at M92 now, then later hope to capture a few more subs on M28, which is down around 10 deg alt, so only available briefly. I got a few last night, with luck I'll get enough to process an RGB image; I won't bother with any Lum for that one. Cheers, Geof