Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Olympus DPS-I 8x40

WbRaDy

Evening

Can i ask if any of you members have/are using the Olympus DPS-I 8x40 Binoculars for any astro work?, or the 10x50s for that matter, im looking for a light weight all rounder and have read a few good reviews on this set, i believe they were called the trooper but changed at some point

Thanks

Edited by WbRaDy

Hello,

After reading a lot of reviews on here, I got some DPS1 10x50s. They do feel lighter than the old 7x50s I've got. 

I'm still waiting for a properly clear night to have a decent look around but so far I can recommend them. Saw some nice detail on the moon last night. 

I've read some good advice on hand holding from the binocular sky website. If only I could find a 6ft monopod... 😄

I have owned the 10x50. They were quite good for the price but I have replaced them with Bushnell Legacy for better eye relief, glass and coatings. I certainly wouldn't call either 10x50 lightweight or compact. They are pretty large and heavy. For astronomy I prefer 10x50, for all rounder 8x40 will probably be a good compromise. I would recommend getting Bushnell Legacy from Amazon.com. They are well worth the extra price imo.

I use the Olymous10x50s more than any other astro equipment. The clarity under dark skies is fantastic. Although the 8x40s are lighter and give a wider FOV I find that the extra 10mm really helps pick out those fainter objects. 

Thanks for the input guys much appreciated, its pointing towards the 10x50s i think, i mentioned the 8x40 simply because i have read on here and other sites how light the 8x40s are in any make or model and are a pleasure to look through but i havnt actually looked through a set of that size so cannot compare the view or  weight difference, i do know i had a peep through some old Minolta standard extra wide view 10x50s which were left in a holiday cabin for guests and i really liked the view on them but a bit harder to find at the moment.

Thanks again

I have used (but never owned) several sets of the 10x50; always a crisp, clear view and have a satisfyingly robust, if lightweight, feel about them. Smooth focusing, decent resistance on the hinge. Good budget bino.

On 13/05/2019 at 22:55, Dark Vader said:

Hello,

After reading a lot of reviews on here, I got some DPS1 10x50s. They do feel lighter than the old 7x50s I've got. 

I'm still waiting for a properly clear night to have a decent look around but so far I can recommend them. Saw some nice detail on the moon last night. 

I've read some good advice on hand holding from the binocular sky website. If only I could find a 6ft monopod... 😄

Manfrotto do a 180mm one. Not cheap though.

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/xpro-4-section-photo-monopod-aluminum-with-quick-power-lock

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

On 16/05/2019 at 11:36, BinocularSky said:

I have used (but never owned) several sets of the 10x50; always a crisp, clear view and have a satisfyingly robust, if lightweight, feel about them. Smooth focusing, decent resistance on the hinge. Good budget bino.

Thanks Steve, looks like its the 10x50s then, thanks again

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2019 at 22:55, Dark Vader said:

Hello,

Update....

I found one. A Giottos one that opens to 190cm courtesy of a nice chap on Ebay for £30. 

I also picked up an AmazonBasics tripod with the pistol grip head. Take the head off and put it on the monopod and I almost need to stand on a box!! 😂

Now if only the weather would play nicely

I was impressed with the quality of the tripod and trigger head for the money. The monopod is great, I managed 15 minutes with it before bed as the clouds lifted long enough for a look at Jupiter with 3 moons just visible. Stellarium showed these as (I think) Ganymede and Europa on the left, and Io at top right. Couldn't make out any others but I'm happy with that through the 10x50s.

• Like 1