SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron motor focuser - missing device driver

Hi all. I’ve just fitted he Celestron motor focus unit to my Edge 8 but I’m not getting anywhere with the software. I’ve installed both the Celestron utility for the focused and the ascom driver, but when I plug in the usb lead I get 3 low buzzes from my pc. In device manager it says there are no drivers for it (code 28), but it is named as Celestron focuser. It needs 900ma from the USB port or an external power supply. My usb gives only 500ma so I’m using a 12v dc adapter. The power light on the focus unit is lit. I’m running a windows 7 pc. Does anybody know where the driver is meant to come from? Is it meant to be automatic? There is a link on the Celestron site for a device driver, but clicking it leads to nothing. 

‘Anybody know where I can get the driver? Where should it appear in Windows directory structure? I’m not very tech minded, but I’ve tried other usb leads, restarting the pc and reinstalling both the utility program and ascom driver. Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've just installed one on my Edge HD8. I down loaded and installed the software from the links on the FLO product page (I used the newest dated option of the ascom driver). After installing the software I re-booted my laptop (Win 10) Then connected the focuser to the laptop and opened the Celestron software. Clicked on connect, and then calibrate - the software took the focuser through it's paces running the full focus travel in and out, then returned the focuser to the position it started in.

I then checked and connected to the focuser via SG Pro to make sure - worked fine.

I connected a 12VDC - 1 Amp supply to the focuser and a USB 2.0 lead to the laptop.

Links from FLO product page:

Celestron Focuser Utility Program (.exe file)  

Focuser ASCOM driver (Directory)  

Edited by fwm891
text added

• 1 year later...

Same issues here - connected to Celestron software and starting calibration just gives a brief turn and then nothing. Just hangs.

I am assuming it should moving things straight away, so looks like a bad unit.

Left it a couple of hours and quit by hitting force stop.

It's always a bit hit and miss with Celestron - I kind of accept that 50% of the time their products won't work.

Edited by JayStar