Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TeleVue EP Collection Increases By 100%!

Just received a TV 20mm Plossl to go with the secondhand 6mm Radian (now discontinued).  Why 20mm? - well, it gives decent exit pupil figures for all my 'scopes, and the eye relief is not too small.

I am keen to check out the legendary sharp and contrasty views against other EPs (another 20mm and others).  Report to follow.

So I am pleased with my latest (and smallest) EP, but it might be some time before the collection increases by a further 50%!

Doug.

P1070035.JPG

• Like 11

OK then - first impressions.  After another good look at the Moon while the sky was fairly light, I then swapped the 20mm TV Plossl and the 20mm Meade 5000 UWA repeatedly in the Bresser Dob and the ST120 frac.

Bresser: the TV was at least as good as the Meade, centre and edge (where both lost some sharpness as expected), so that in itself says a lot for the smaller, simpler TV. 

ST120: Generally better sharpness than before with both EPs, but I thought the TV showed faint stars better, i.e. gave slightly better contrast.

These were by no means exhaustive comparisons, but I feel satisfied that the TV performed very well, and having become used to quite hefty EPs, it was good to use one weighing in at just 85g (without adaptor) for a small loss of field.  I shall perhaps draw further conclusions with other 'scopes, EPs (for comparison), and targets/conditions.  Meanwhile, I am pleased with my purchase.

Thanks to everyone for the inputs!

Doug.

Interesting 1st impressions Doug.

One of the things about the TV plossls is that they have very high light throughput. I've seen figures that indicate that the 20mm and 25mm have a few % more throughput than practically any other eyepiece type, even orthos.

Normally apparently seeing a difference of less than 10% in light throughput is beyond our sensitivity but my theory is that every little bit helps :smiley:

• Like 1