Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Resistance is futile?

I went through a dozen telescopes in last year.  But I sold them all and bough back a few as well :)

In retrospective I had the most fun and was the most satisfied with 102 Mak and 80mm f11.4 ( Vixen A80M ). So last year was kind of a testing ground. The most comfortable eyepiece was Baader zoom and BCO 18mm ( amazing, just amazing ). 102 Mak with .5x reducer was fine for EAA as well.

My main interest is double stars (primary concern), moon and planets. Looks like I need to take a look at Sun observing as well considering the weather at night. The scope needs to work with ASI224 as well for some deep space when I feel like it.

Considering all of the above please read below and help me out.

Now, why resistance is futile? Because all this time I tried, really tried but never could get Tak out of my mind. But there is Vixen as well. So what would be a good combination aka child of 102 Mak and Vixen A80M? I narrowed it down to three choices :

1. Takahashi FS60Q

2. Takahashi FC76DCU

3. Vixen SD81S

Anything else in this quality/price range that is readily available?

I want this scope to be highly portable as well so maybe Vixen is out of the question? Too long? Or get Vixen and then some off-the shelf 60ed again? I am really intrigued by FS60Q but worry about light gathering capabilities. Oh, and would prefer 'flatter' field. I really don't appreciate 60ed f6 field curvature. My mind tells me 102 Mak but I don't think I am strong enough to resist the Tak! ;)

Possibly the Sharpstar 90mm carbon OTA. I believe these will be available early next month. I'd love the Tak 60Q, but can't justify the price for a 60mm. I know what you mean though.

Glen.

• 3 months later...

To update the thread. After a long pondering and making life miserable for everyone around me the wife decided to cut it and bought a scope for me. She did the same thing when I had 'issues' with chosing a watch lol. It worked then and she hopes it will work now. She doesn't know that in my mind I now have additional budget lol.

I went with FS60Q. My reasoning is this. the Q version will be a nice visual grab and go and the short version will be a nice EAA, travel and white light scope and with a 224 chip it gives me full Sun and Moon disc as well. When the dust settles add 76 objective upgrade as well ;) At the end as far as I understand I'll have 4 different scope configurations.

FLO email is saying the scope shipped today so hoping for delivery tomorrow.

Rings waiting. I have to sort out the finder now - any ideas?? The rigns are very light-weight and attached to original Tak dovetail ( bought here from Stu in mint condition ) - need to source M6x12 countersunk screws though.

IMG_0591.jpg.43d0c232861640ab0a289674737a50d5.jpg

Edited by heliumstar
spelling
  • Like 1

How stupid can a man be? Postponing the inevitable? Very stupid. I was debating with myself for months. Glad it happened. The telescope is everything you want it to be. Unfortunately the original Tak Vixen dovetail doesn't fit the ADM Dual Dovetail Adaptor for AZ GTi. It moves even if fully screwed in. Thank the Universe for bits and pieces lying around and a no-name black Vixen dovetail that works perfectly - no colour match but if it works it works. Another issue is that Baader BBHS mirror doesn't come to focus. Not enough inward travel even without extension. Again, thank the Universe for bits and pieces and Tak prism lying around :)I knew it will come handy one day.

I tried it out on some buildings and trees around and compared with Altair 60ed. Have to report not much difference to my eyes (if any) using Baader Zoom and Vixen SLV 9mm and 6mm in the center but, oh my, the flat field of Q. The one thing that was bothering me A LOT with Altair 60ed. Hoping for clear skies tomorrow evening to test it out at night.

This will be perfect. FS60CB config for camera and Q config for visual.

IMG_0602.jpg.b444b15eafe20ba34039bca7ec0ee9d7.jpg

Edited by heliumstar
  • Like 5