Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Glenridding Milky Way experiment.

Hi all,

I went out on Saturday night as a last minute idea based on the weather forecast. Unfortunately the moon wanted to play too and was at 50% but hey ho. I notice Daniel-K on another thread say the same thing I was thinking that this is possibly it for the summer, moon or not. The shadows were quite noticeable on the ground and the contrast in the sky very low.

I popped up to Glenridding, Ullswater, and found a nice spot. The experiment, from the title, was to make a mosaic from single 30 second exposures ( I can't think why I chose that time ! ) as when pointing North there would be no trailing but to the South there would. I think it worked out ok considering. Once again I've been prevented from getting the Pipe Nebula as it's in the glow of Kendal this time ! Well, I think it's Kendal because it's the only big light source in that direction !

Here we go - Nikon D750, Sigma 14mm lens @ f2.8, ISO 800, 7 x 30 seconds. Processed and assembled in Lightroom.

It looks like the dawn is coming up 🤨

1657622486_UllswaterskyandLake2.thumb.jpg.c3d629327d80a19e8d99779a28663722.jpg

Edited by davew
  • Like 21

1 hour ago, davew said:

Well, I think it's Kendal because it's the only big light source in that direction !

Yes likely Kendal, the only other large light source looking south is Lancaster.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davew said:

...as when pointing North there would be no trailing

Hi Dave,

Lovely image, is that right that if facing North there is no star trailing or is it just reduced?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Dave,

Lovely image, is that right that if facing North there is no star trailing or is it just reduced?

Hi John, the closer you are to the pole the less the stars appear to move on the arc of a circle for a given period of time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi John, the closer you are to the pole the less the stars appear to move on the arc of a circle for a given period of time.

Thanks Adam, I didn't know that it applies to the MW, worth my bearing in mind.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

Thanks Adam, I didn't know that it applies to the MW, worth my bearing in mind.

Apologies John, I'm sure you are familiar with the movement of the stars around polaris.

• Like 1

Hi Dave hope this helps. I've calculated you max exposure time for shooting with your kit. Lovely image by the way :)

I think that's it for us northern folk now. Next session 2nd August for me 😭

Screenshot_20190513-190153_PhotoPills.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Dave,

Hi,

Sorry I've been so long but I went out this afternoon :) Here now.

To answer your question, you are more correct in that the trailing is much reduced. Tooth_dr has done a good job of explaining in the earlier post. To show you the difference at 30 seconds with a 14mm lens I've done two tight and equal crops on the mosaic subs. One looking North and the other South. Note the North stars aren't trailed but the South ones are. Both subs were taken with the same exposure time. This doesn't have a big effect on my laptop screen with a 14mm lens but it will with a longer lens. Not a lot of people believe this ! 😎

North.jpg.21d7b785b505b153f232c03c846bf67e.jpgSouth.jpg.baef6fd2166ee907d794d779fdfe6475.jpg

Good job I had them close to focus !

Dave.

9 hours ago, alan potts said:

Beautiful capture, like the way the shadow from the hills helps the composition. I use to have a 16x7 Fugi that was great for that type of shot, well with better light maybe.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I used to think those big Fujis were really posh :) I used a Bronica 645 in portrait mode and placed the photos next to each other ! Not the same thing :)

Dave.

8 hours ago, Cozzy said:

Yes likely Kendal, the only other large light source looking south is Lancaster.

I got Google maps out and lined up Kendal. Amazing !

Dave

7 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

You put it better than me,

Dave.

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

Hi Dave, wonderful image. The kind of thing people would stick on the wall for sure...I would :)

Our Galaxy helps us imagers look good and the Lake District lends a hand. It was a wonderful night and a nice result. Thanks,

Dave.

2 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

Hi Dave hope this helps. I've calculated you max exposure time for shooting with your kit. Lovely image by the way :)

I think that's it for us northern folk now. Next session 2nd August for me 😭

Cheers Danny. I've always had my doubts about the 500 rule so never use it. Your little app shows that to be true.

Blame Grant ( Yes, the Grant ) for getting me to use 30 seconds :)

Dave.

Edited by davew

50 minutes ago, James said:

Lovely pic Dave, a nice way to end the season :) 

Thanks very much James,

It was a lovely way to end the season and I enjoyed it, and the other location I found, very much.

I believe I have a secret session coming up later in the year so I can't wait to get going again,

Dave.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Adam,

Probably being daft but never took into consideration shooting the MW North, as have only shot it in Mid summer in France, so didn't consider it this early up there.

6 hours ago, davew said:

Thanks Alan. I used to think those big Fujis were really posh :) I used a Bronica 645 in portrait mode and placed the photos next to each other ! Not the same thing :)

Dave.

No not posh just very expensive, though I got it s/h in Thailand, Had a fair amount of MF kit, Bronica SQ amd Mamiya 6x7, miss it really but difficult to do this far from good labs.

Alan.

• Like 1