Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon - May 12th, Fabulous Lunation

paulastro

I hope many fellow Lunar enthusiasts took advantage  of the favourable lunation yesterday evening.  So many of the Lunar gems were well placed that I had to almost drag myself away from the eyepiece after three hours observing.  The views through the SW 120ED really were stunning at times, using binoviewer, x2 barlow element, 30mm Ultimas and 24 and 16.8 mm Orthos.

It would take a while to list all the favourably placed features, so I've attached three snaps taken using my Galaxy A3 Smartphone.  Low res and not a patch of course compared with the incredible detail that could be seen through the scope, but enough to identify what was on view.

318794992_20190512_233601Moonnr1sQ120EDPhoneCam.thumb.jpg.78b47183eba37612a4282515e414058c.jpg1981906376_20190512_233335SHighlands120EDGalaxyA3.thumb.jpg.240e14cf7a56599a02d6aa01852aed46.jpg667059232_20190512_233033Imbrium120EDGalaxyA3.thumb.jpg.029408850436711488efaa48bbb64b0d.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely fantastic images, Paul!

Crikey those pictures take me back to the days when I first saw the moon through my F12 Scopetech Raptor 50... oh how good those times were!

Let me ask– you had that feeling of satisfaction flow through you when you managed to get pinpoint focus, right? (At least that's what I felt when I managed to get spot-on focusing!)

Either way, I really like those pictures–I'd hang them up the wall if I were you!

Continue exploring the skies,

Leon. 😛

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LR Watanabe said:

Absolutely fantastic images, Paul!

Crikey those pictures take me back to the days when I first saw the moon through my F12 Scopetech Raptor 50... oh how good those times were!

Let me ask– you had that feeling of satisfaction flow through you when you managed to get pinpoint focus, right? (At least that's what I felt when I managed to get spot-on focusing!)

Either way, I really like those pictures–I'd hang them up the wall if I were you!

Continue exploring the skies,

Leon. 😛

Many thanks for your very kind words Leon.  I must confess I keep a hand magnifying glass in a bag with my Celestron NexYZ Phone Holder.  The latter is a god send in positioning and holding the phone in the correct position relative to the eyepiece, and the magnifying glass to focus on the image on the phone of course.  Needless to say I took many more than the three images I posted.  But yes, you are right, I felt chuffed that any of them turned out any where near sharp :laugh2:

One thing  I didn't put in my post is that the eyepiece I used for the photos is a Morpheus 17.5mm, as well as being very sharp across the telescope field it has a 76 degree with very large eye relief which makes things that much easier - if that's the right word :smile:

Thanks again Leon.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trikeflyer said:

I too was observing Luna with binoviewers last night. Using 80ed starwave. As you have said, it was particularly good last night. 

Thanks for posting the pics.

steve 

Thanks Steve, good to know someone else had a good view.

12 hours ago, paulastro said:

Many thanks for your very kind words Leon.  I must confess I keep a hand magnifying glass in a bag with my Celestron NexYZ Phone Holder.  The latter is a god send in positioning and holding the phone in the correct position relative to the eyepiece, and the magnifying glass to focus on the image on the phone of course.  Needless to say I took many more than the three images I posted.  But yes, you are right, I felt chuffed that any of them turned out any where near sharp :laugh2:

One thing  I didn't put in my post is that the eyepiece I used for the photos is a Morpheus 17.5mm, as well as being very sharp across the telescope field it has a 76 degree with very large eye relief which makes things that much easier - if that's the right word :smile:

Thanks again Leon.

What makes me happier is that you got to feel the joy of looking at the moon– right now is the perfect time for me, as it's a Waning Gibbous (or what-bloody-ever)! 

And yes, Eye Reliefs EPs are really useful and make life that much easier! If ever you get a telescope with a 2 inch EP fitting hole (or whatever they're called), I recommend getting something like a Sky Watcher 2 inch LET eyepiece!

Clear skies,

Leon! :) 

Many thanks Leon.  I won't be getting any 2inch eyepieces though - no need for any, there are plenty of lighter 1.25 inch eyepieces with ample eye relief and field for my purposes and better quality in some cases.  Both these refractors have two inch fittings.  The Morpheus is both 2 inch and 1.25 fittings by the way.

• Like 1

Hi  Paul, I particular like the first full disc image, amazing really for a smart phone, combined of course with your own expertise. I  was also observing at the same time with my 130 mm f6 APO, yes, I agree, the views were simply stunning.   Regards   Chris.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BRADLEY 1953 said:

Hi  Paul, I particular like the first full disc image, amazing really for a smart phone, combined of course with your own expertise. I  was also observing at the same time with my 130 mm f6 APO, yes, I agree, the views were simply stunning.   Regards   Chris.

Many thanks Chris, that's very kind of you. 

• Like 1