Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bright Supernova in NGC 5353 in CVn

Thanks Michael - I'll get my 12 inch dob out and have a go for that one if the skies are decent.

Edit: Moon looks to be a little close to the area tonight but I'll give it a try anyway I expect.

• Like 1

Got it with the 12 inch dob !!!

Despite the moon not being too far away from Canes Venatici, NGC 5353 and it's companions NGC 5354, NGC 5350 and the somewhat fainter NGC 5355 were quite easy to track down close to a mag 6.5 star listed as HD 121197 in Cartes du Ciel.

SN 2019ein is around mag 13.5 I'd say currently and shines just off the southern tip of the galaxy NGC 5353. High power (200x - 260x) helped to tease the SN out.

I think this is my 10th supernova - thanks again for the heads up Michael :thumbright:

Nice galaxy group as well, known as Hickson 68 I believe. 100 million light years away. With the moon out of the way well worth a return trip :smiley:

• Like 4

Fantastic, John! Just got it myself :D I needed 200x and then the two galaxies became clear. Just letting them drift through the eyepiece and using averted vision I got the SN. Repeated it a few times to be sure. Only my second so well chuffed! Thanks to Michael for sharing!

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 2

Huh Mr. Bishop was out in heart surgery and I guess updated after he left the hospital. Well I was looking for stuff to image and I had no idea I actually had a nova.. 

• Like 3

Well done to those who got it. I didn't get round to dragging out the scope last night, despite clear skies. I was just too exhausted after a very long day. Had to get up at 05:00 to take the youngest to school REALLY early (06:30 start) for an excursion to the Vosges  mountains with his class. This after a session lasting until midnight the night before, and followed by a long working day, and two hours of Latin dance technique training meant I was totally spent. Luckily, the skies may well be clear this evening, so I will give it a go

• Like 2

I've managed to see this again tonight, despite a bright moon. The galaxies NGC 5353 and 5354 can be seen but with the additional glare from the moon NGC 5350 and 5355 were not visible. The supernova is still glowing just off the southern end of NGC 5253. In comparison with a nearby mag 14.1 star I reckon the SN is around mag 13.8 - perhaps a touch fainter than last night but not much in it and the moons glow makes accurate comparisons tricky.

• Like 2

Bagged it! Just visible at the southern tip of NGC 5353. Best views with the 14 mm Delos (145x). NGC 5354 was also quite easy. The big 14x70 RACI finder made the star hop fairly simple: starting from Alkaid, move down in declination until you hit an asterism shaped a bit like a bow tie, drop down a little further south, and you are on a mag 7.5 star closest to the galaxy.

IMG_20190514_235121.thumb.jpg.b62b836cdfd2ac80cdd13bb1282f18ec.jpg

• Like 3

Well done Michael.

Out of interest, what is your NELM normally? Just wondering whether I will get it in my 8" from home, around Mag 19 SQM without the moon around.

• Like 1

If you can see the mag 13 star next to the Ring nebula I think you will be able to see this SN at it's current brightness. The galaxies might be more challenging.

Just been out after this one with the 18" and bagged it after a bit of a search. The nearby mag 6 star was the key to locating the galaxies and the SN was definitely there. Thanks for the heads up. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well done Michael.

Out of interest, what is your NELM normally? Just wondering whether I will get it in my 8" from home, around Mag 19 SQM without the moon around.

I can get NELM 5 skies. I could spot the lenticular galaxies quite easily, and even got a hint of a nearby spiral, all in averted vision, of course.

• Like 1

Had a look tonight but the sky is awash with moonlight so can't see more than the vaguest hint of NGC 5353 even though I now know just where to look. SN 2019ien is not visible. Maybe thats the moonlight but I think it might be fading from it's peak at mag 13.2 looking at this data ?:

http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/sn2019/sn2019ein.html