SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Two Very Different Doubles

Just like two days ago - early Moon session, break, doubles session.   This time, I used the ES ED80 Triplet rather than the 8SE.  The difference with the Moon views has already been covered.

So - on to Algieba (Leo) - this must rank amongst the nicest of doubles - two bright stars, fairly close in magnitude, separation 4.6".  At x120, they appeared as two bright close orange lights, side by side, in the 0.68deg field.  I picked up two further stars to the west, using AV - hard to spot, as the Moon was only about 8deg away.

Next target - Sigma 1737 (Com).  I aimed the 'scope in the region of M53, recognised patterns in Stellarium (stars appeared as beautiful, sharp pinpoints with the Apo), then hopped to target.  There was a hint of the secondary (much fainter, 15" sepn.) at x24, but it was clearer at x48 and x80 and AV.  Again, the Moon  made it somewhat trickier.

Two very different binaries, and another short but satisfying outing (no. 37 this year)!

Doug.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Algieba- my first ever double. As I increased magnification I didn't believe it was a double until.....Wow. Great memories. I didn't know about the other two stars in the field, though.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, domstar said:

Algieba- my first ever double....

Mine as well :smiley:

My old Tasco 60mm refractor first showed me this golden yellow pair. I was very excited !

• Like 2