Narrowband

Still nothing

Don’t worry. The moon drowns out so much. I rarely venture out when the moon is anything more than a quarter full. In two weeks time, the moon will be out of the way and you will see more.

Paul

• Like 2

Is your finder scope as accurately aligned with your main scope as possible and not slopping around in it's mount ?

Basic question I know but it is key to being able to find things.

If you live in the centre of Ashton (or close) then the light pollution will be pretty bad. I have never seen M101 from either Romiley or Gee Cross and the LP is probably a fair bit worse in Ashton. You'd definitely get M13, M31, M81/82 from your site though but do manage your expectations in terms of what you'll see. 

Messier 13 might be like this

image.jpeg.26f8c6eebac663ed73d10228553f8ec7.jpeg

M31 like this (maybe even less obvious)

Image result for sketch messier 31

M81/82 like this  (maybe even less obvious)

Image result for sketch messier 82

Messier 101 might be even fainter than this

image.jpeg.b554b984bcc785f38cf9e0deca3740da.jpeg

M101 is tough, as is M51 and even M33.  Don't expect to see spiral arms even when you do find them - which you will eventually.  Just very faint, hazy patches.  You may need to adjust your expectations from your location.  To see structure you need dark skies, that's why we are always moaning about the lack of them in this forum.  And that's why simple Dobsonian scopes, even modest aperture ones, are so good because you can sling them in the car and drive off somewhere into the countryside that is dark and set up in no time at all.

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 1

On 12/05/2019 at 14:12, Anthony1979 said:

Spent another 4-5 hours out last night trying to look for the pinwheel but again another disappointing night... Starting to wonder if im wasting my time..... Frustrating 

It can be frustrating but there's lots of good tips in this thread to help make the most of what can be seen from light polluted skies.

I have had many times I've not seen targets I've looked for. On one occasion I had a long and carefully planned session going for galaxies in Ursa Major from home. I tried very hard for each one and was out for a long time. The result was 100% failure!

• 3 weeks later...

I live in a bortle 6 sky and the only galaxy I can find is M31. There is just to much light pollution and I have a (almost impossible to dodge) streetlight shining up my garden. I tried M81, M33, M101,... I recognize the starpaterns so I know I'm looking at the right spot. I am wearing a hoody and try to shield my eyes as much as possible and still, no luck. I'm only using a 4inch refractor but the main problem is the light shining in my garden so I never get fully dark adapted eyes.
But don't worry, much else to see. Planets, the moon, doubles, clusters....

Don’t give up fellow Vacuum. Is there any chance you can get that four inch frac to a darker site? You say ‘that light shining in your garden’ perhaps the end of the street is a dark site compared to your garden.

I have B4 skies with no immediate lights at all and I am planning to go north ten kilometres for darker skies. Never accept what you have, improve if you can, no matter the effort. It will be worth it. 

A dark or darker site will really show you what you can see even with small scopes. I use a newt but only five inches and darker skies make all the difference.

I have noticed that weather is the main issue for astronomers. If you have the view that due to weather and seeing issues, plus work and family commitments you may get three or four nights a month at best. Two of those sessions will no doubt be troubled by moon light.

For the two nights of clear skies, good seeing, without moon and work and family commitments at best...... getting somewhere dark, away from towns and villages for say, perhaps three hours will get you what you desire. I can assure you it will be worth it.

Get out there and please let us all know what you see, even if you think we have all seen it before. I can assure you that seeing for the first time will make us all smile. Me in particular as I am seeing a lot of this stuff for the first time this year.

Marvin

Going back to M1. (not the motorway thankfully) The supernova remnant and the first object in Charles Messiers' catalogue.

From home (Darley Abbey, Derby : AKA 'Light pollution centra'l)  i cannot see it with a 12" Newtonian.

And i've tried many times. Its simply washed out to the point of being invisible. Comets are the same.

Yet a 20 min drive up to Alderwasley, Belper (EMS darksite) shows it is visible on a decent moonless night with my 15x50 binoculars.

I rarely look at DSOs from home because of this, and stick with Planets, doubles and Lunar.

Have you tried M42 ? You can't fail to spot that, and it will bring a smile to your face.