SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon Filter

I have been looking at moon filters and reading some of our members opinions and it seems to be very much a personal thing. My experience of moon viewing from years ago was if I looked at it for any length of time my eyes took a long time to return to normal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Some find the moon too bright and others like me aren’t bothered by it. I use a Baader Neodymium filter as it gives the moon a nice natural looking grey appearance.  A variable polarising filter is great for those that find the moon too bright as you can then adjust the brightness to just the right level for you.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Hi Banjaxed, I always use a Moon filter as I don't like the light you still see in your eyes after viewing.  The Baader Neodymium filter suggested by John above is a great one and the first I ever bought, it is also good on light pollution.  The ones I use now are called Neutral Density (ND) filters, they come in three main flavours, 13%, 25% & 50% light transmission or ND13, ND25 & ND50.  Of these I find the best one is the ND13 for telescopes 100mm aperture and over.  The variable polariser is also another alternative as you can vary the light transmission from 1-40%.  I prefer the fixed density filters myself as you don't have to faff around with adjusting it.  Just my thoughts!

• Like 1

I found the moon to be extremely bright, almost painful to be honest.

I tried the Meade 4000 series Moon filter ND96 and have not looked back. Found it improved surface details too.

I think it is a personal thing though as you say.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I don't use one myself, even with my 12 inch scope. I tend to be using high magnifications when observing the moon, which reduces the brightness from the surface.

I do have a couple of moon filters for when I'm going outreach and people feel they need them.

I’ve never felt the need for any filter to reduce the moons brightness. Never too bright for me. My eyes seem to adjust to the brightness with no problems and no lasting effects afterwards.

Some are naturally sensitive to light which is called Photophobia. Apparenty it’s frequently associated with light coloured  irides (iris);whereas those with darker ones are better able to handle brighter light as the darker pigment absorbs light better. There are many other causes of course but this is one possability.

Edited by johninderby

Thank you all very much for your advice and suggestions. I have decided to get the moon filter as I don't want to risk

being temporarily blinded by the moon, we all know any precious time with clear skies should not be wasted.

• Like 1