Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon May 11

Eastman

Today finally some time outside with the dob.

The moon now 48% illuminated schould give some nice detail along the terminator.

First up Mare Imbruim, the Terminator splitting up both  craters Aristillus (55 KM) and Autolycus (39 KM). The daylight side showing some spectacular force of nature caused by the impact.  And these two are just small craters.

Down to the south Mons Bradley a beautiful mountain massif in the Montes Apenninus region. Hidden in this mountain massif lies a near perfect round crater Conon. Great stuff, the day light lets it pop out. realy nive crater in the middle of a moutain region.

Next up Rima Hyginus, 220 km long and showing lots of detail, I guess that the the position of the sun was just right tonight.

Just a little bit more south the Rimae Triesnecker, crater Triesnecker (25 KM) is a eye catcher on it's own. So many canals in that area, there's a lot to explore. I really enjoyed that area.

Last object, Crater Walther (almost 140 KM). It has a offset central peak. Only the top was lit by the sun leaving the rest of the crater in darkness, a stunning view.

Great evening following the terminator. Also made a picture to test the focus range.

greets Gert

DSC_0991 (2).JPG

Edited by Eastman
  • Like 6

Great report. It was an unexpected clear night for me also. I was checking out the terminator from Klein up to Aristoteles with my Maksutov. Very good views and held up to high magnification well.

Lunar X and V very prominent also.

20190511_221149_HDR-1600x900.thumb.jpg.17e00fd7dfdb07b2a44ba408d147faa7.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Paz said:

Lunar X and V very prominent also.

Thanks Paz.  Same here, very good views. I completly missed the lunar  X and V.  And is clearly on the picture.  Unbelievable 😬

Edited by Eastman
  • Like 1