SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 130P accessories

Hi Guys

Totally new to this great Hobby.  I have decided to buy the above scope, after some research for better EP's its between BST Starguider or Celeston Omni, but starting to lean towards BST, BST I notice are more expensive, probably with good reason? Anyone have any thoughts or experience of the Two please? I think its a bit of a strange situation because as good as the 130P is,  it doesn't cost a fortune, so like wise I don't want to go to mad with very expensive EP's, but that said i'd like good quality to compliment it.

If I went with the BST, what would be a good size selection, i'd probably buy Three, also, would a Barlow be necessary? If so any suggestions. Lastly, what Collimator would you suggest?

Many Thanks

Edited by steve wiz

Yes the BSTs are well regarded eyepieces, I have owned a few and all were good in my heritage 130p... there was one focal length that wasn't as good as the others but I cant remember which one that was! BSTs can generally be has for around 35 second hand. keep an eye on out on the classifieds here and on uk astro buy and sell website.  

I'd probably start of with a decent barlow and the 25mm, 18mm and the 5mm BSTs.  That would give you magnifications of x26, x36 x52, x72 x130, and x260 (which would be really pushing the scope!)

For the heritage 130i use a short version cheshire/sight tube eyepice like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kalttoy-Collimating-Eyepiece-Newtonian-Telescopes/dp/B07K54BZXS/ref=asc_df_B07K54BZXS/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309904628344&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10885492928286515814&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006756&hvtargid=pla-697641300706&psc=1

• Like 1

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your input, much appreciated.

Still trying to figure out certain aspects of the scope itself, finding  it a little confusing. When you say pushing the limits of the scope, do you mean putting a 5mm EP in the Barlow?  Is the BST short barlow ok too?

Edited by steve wiz

A  general rule of thumb is that a scope will be usable up to x50 per inch of aperture, so a 5 inch scope should be ok up to x250 magnification. However this is a very rough guide and lots of other factors will determine how high you can push your magnification.  The 5mm ep plus Barlow will give you x260, you may get some good results viewing the moon like that (the moon will tend to take higher mags than other targets). Also tracking an object will become tricky with high magnifications like that. You want to keep the target in the centre of the field for the sharpest views but that van be hard when using high powers on the H130.

I have never used the short BST Barlow but I'm almost certain it will be better than the plasticky units often shipped with scopes.

• Like 1

I have the Heritage 130P which I use as a grab and go scope. I think the max magnification you should consider is 30X per inch of aperture although as Craig mentioned you could go higher if the sky allowed especially if you want to split doubles and view the Moon. So you need a wide FOV for clusters etc. A medium EP and a higher EP + a barlow.

My choice of the BST range would be 25, 15 and the 8 + barlow. This would be 26X, 43X and 81X. With barlow 52X, 86X and 162X.

• Like 2

Hi Steve, good choice of starter scope. Brilliant for the price & lots of non expensive mods can be done. I also have BST eyepieces & can highly recommend them. If you want to purchase 3 for starters, then I would say 8,12 & 18mm. I find these the best along with the 15mm in the range. The 5mm is good, but looks a bit soft compared to the others. Even though I still have had great views with the 5mm. I think I will purchase the 25mm to complete my set, but the 25mm that comes with the heritage is good. I use an Orion 2 x shorty Barlow & a Starguider laser collimator which can all be purchased along with the BST lenses from a eBay shop. I have flocked the tube of my scope & made a tripod for the dobsonion base. A light shroud can be easily made for the upper frame to stop stray light from entering. I think I will always keep this scope even if I upgrade, as it’s so easy to grab & go! I’m sure you will enjoy yours! Andy.

3E86CFE0-862E-4FA0-BA44-F75D3BF97570.jpeg

BC59FAC8-C93D-44A7-9B88-8B9182B29526.jpeg

733268A4-62EF-4CE5-89B7-B55B52AD3C6B.jpeg

Edited by Sky-searcher
  • Like 1

Hey Andy,

Thanks for your brilliant info and great pictures!  Its funny you mention how good the 25mm is that actually comes with the scope, as time and time again I have read people saying the same, only they also say the 10mm is not good at all.  There's a Guy on Youtube  showing how he flocked the open tube with Two A3 size black crafting foam, which is 2mm thick and actually slides shut perfectly with it fitted on the inside, secured with small black Velcro tabs, he also put ptfe tape on the focusing threads and eliminated any play. You have also done a great job with the tripod. But more importantly for me, where did you find that lovely little EP box???  I've been looking everywhere for some thing suitable.....

Thanks again for this great post!

• Like 1

Hi Steve, the flight case was from Amazon. Cost £29 delivered. Keeps my eyepieces & bits n pieces safe & in 1 place. Still plenty of room for more goodies 😂. I have a shroud that I made from 2mm neoprene foam that goes around the outside, but the slide in shroud does look good & is always ready to go. No fumbling around in the dark to fit. There are lots you can do with this scope to better or make it easier to use. I have ptfe on my Focuser as it’s the only let down on the scope that’s not really possible to change. Although it still does it’s job, but there is play in the threads & also flex in the mount. Otherwise it’s a great scope with quality mirrors.

• Like 1

Hey Andy, I've also gone with your Barlow and your Starguider  laser, just spotted the on Ebay, cheers mate, bit cheaper than the ones I was going to get so all good!

I'll now look for that great little flight case! 

• Like 1

A tip on the laser collimator. You need to check if it’s also collimated. It’s easy. I use the scope to check. Place the scope horizontal & put the laser on the dovetail. Switch it on with the red dot shining against a wall from a distance. Turn the laser & see in the red dot stays in position or rotates in a ️. If it does there a screws under sealant you adjust to get it right. Not had to adjust mine though 👍

• Like 1

Thanks  Andy, I have the bug too my friend!😁😁  

Playing my Guitar and my waiting for my new scope and kit I'm gonna be a busy Boy!......My poor Mrs...😀😀😀😀😀😁

• Like 1

There are plenty of people on here that will help you on the way. Lots also have the heritage scope as well. Good luck & enjoy it. Your starting the hobby right, I have only been doing it since the start of the year when I bought my son a small refractor at Xmas & I was hooked! 😂

• Like 1

Plenty of god tips from Sky-searcher there!  That tripod base looks great, and I also see that the secondary mirror collimation screws have been swapped out for thumbscrews to make it easier and tool-less to collimate.  Very handy.

The heritage 130 was my first scope in 2011 and I still have it now (after owning about probably 10-12 other scopes of all types since, most of which have been and gone). It really can hold its own against more expensive kit. 

If you get the modding bug you can actually graft on a 2" focuser which really turns it into a proper rich field travel scope.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steve wiz said:

Great. One silly last question, sorry Andy...Whats a dovetail?

The dovetail is the long bar that is fitted to the telescope that attaches to the dobsonian mount the telescope sits on. If you use an eq clamp the telescope dovetail can be fitted to a ball head on a camera tripod for a different mounting experience.

Thank you Bright Giant, very helpful indeed.

Does anyone think it would be worth replacing the 25mm that comes with the Heritage with a 25mm BST? 

Edited by steve wiz

Brilliant! Thank you, with your suggestion, that would give me an awesome range including the 25mm sent with the scope, funny because I never considered anything about 25 mm.

Edited by steve wiz

5 hours ago, Sky-searcher said:

Hi Craig, I have seen a vid on YouTube of a 3D printed helical Focuser fitted. Looks really good. Not seen anything else though of modified Focusers on the heritage. Have you got any links to any mods? Thanks Andy 

I did this mod to mine, works well. The tube is still collapsible but it's now a bit of a longer process to collapse it. 

• Like 1