Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A little accident with my Celestron 9.25

Been kicking myself all day for this :hello2:

Wanted to attach a dovetail for a piggyback scope, turned the wrong screw, and clonk!! A nut fell off inside the tube. Luckily it did not touch the primary mirror.

Looks like the only way to access it is to remove the corrector plate. How complicated is this? Would I have problems re-collimating? Is it recommended that I take it to a telescope service ? (I am clumsy at DIY). Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Vincent.

10434_large.jpeg

10435_large.jpeg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't you just remove the visual back and insert a straight length of coathangar wire in through the back port with a magnet attached? If the nut isn't magnetized, maybe you could put a very small piece of stickysomething on the end of the wire, like double-stick tape. Worth a try and a lot easier than taking the scope apart, IMO. :hello2:

I'd be tempted to try Carol's method 1st, bit of well worked blu-tac on some coat wire or similar.

Sticking the coat hanger through the baffle is the easy bit, bending it the 5 inches or so to contact the nut is another matter! I think taking off the corrector is the only practicable method. The corrector on my C9.25 was taken off to flock the tube (not by me). The retaining ring has index marks at the bottom of the tube in the photo - on the retaining ring and tube to ensure it was properly reinserted. Presumably the edge of the corrector was also marked. You also need to make sure that the paper or cork packers are reinserted in exactly the same position. Photograph everything.

10440_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

You need a long drinking straw, some thread and the magnet off the end of a Lego train. Tie the magnet to the thread and put the thread through the drinking straw. With the magnet pulled up tight, pass the straw through the back of the 'scope. Let down the magnet to catch the nut, pull it up and withdraw.

Then you can take the corrector off to reattach the nut to where it should be.

Best of luck!

Kaptain Klevtsov

You need a long drinking straw, some thread and the magnet off the end of a Lego train. Tie the magnet to the thread and put the thread through the drinking straw. With the magnet pulled up tight, pass the straw through the back of the 'scope. Let down the magnet to catch the nut, pull it up and withdraw.

Then you can take the corrector off to reattach the nut to where it should be.

Best of luck!

Kaptain Klevtsov

Lateral thinking. Well done that man! (ROTFL :hello2: )

here's another possible way. obtain some clear flexible tubing from a DIY store about 10mm int dia or more. flexi car washing hose is good.

insert enough to reach to front of the ota into a vacuum cleaner nozzle and tape around the join airtight.

insert through the baffle and suck out the nut into a new and EMPTY cleaner bag.

the flexible hose should not damage anything.

mike

Thanks a ton for your tips!!! Much appreciated.

KK's plan seemed easiest, hence I gave it a shot. Unfortunately the nut was not magnetic. Dint want to try with any sticky stuff, lest I leave some behind :hello2:

Now its down to removing the plate. Someone suggested I do flocking if I take out the plate. Therefore its worth a trip to a professional.

Anyone in the Greater London area, or at least in the south east?

Thanks,

Vincent.

10461_large.jpeg

Here's another thought - couldn't you just insert a cone of paper through the back of the scope and then simply turn the tube on end. If you used a big enough piece of paper, you could protect the internal surfaces and it would simply funnel the nut out. :hello2:

How about this.. tie a larger nut onto the end of the string for weight, and securely attach (read: sew) a piece of double-stick tape to the bottom of the nut. If heavy enough, the nut will provide adequate weight to secure a good contact on the nut that's in the OTA. :)

OK, Try a small plastic flexible tube with a weight taped on the end so it falls down in the tube and the other end attached to a hoover pipe with tape.

"Caution" Make sure you have plenty of air flow around the small tube so as to avoid any vacuum in the ota.

I think you will find this will work.

Jeff.

Archived