SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M101 Once Again

KernowBeard

I had another attempt at M101 last night, I went for 600 shots this time as well as using the 300-odd from last time.

All 2.5 second subs again but decided to push the ISO past 12800 and went for the H2.0 option because I live on the edge. In hindsight I feel I should have done this before since I'm not tracking and would want to get the most out of it as I can.

I also made a bahtinov mask! I used some black card and it actually works fairly decently. Although I was a nonce and didn't take a picture of it in action! As you can see it's not quite as good looking as a proper one but for now it works so that's all that matters, and no one can see it in the dark ;) 

DSC_0053.thumb.jpg.61c0271392ee46d9eb6635279b875790.jpg

DSC_0054.thumb.jpg.769299bbcdbeef59941fe01969c70e5a.jpg

The final image:

1872387127_Finalm101C.thumb.jpg.e665cc727695575d2143b1b58b778dec.jpg

Certainly more detailed than the last image of it but of course there's only so much you can get from this method. I'm only waiting on two more bits for the barn door tacker so hopefully that will be done soon!

• Like 13

44 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

That's a surprisingly deep image, those outer arms are pretty faint and people spend a lot of time chasing them.

It would be handy if you could put your equipment in your signature please, as I'm not sure camera and lens you used.

I got to make 2 more posts then I can have a signature. However I did forget to add those details so here you go:

Nikon D750

Tamron 70-200 f/2.8

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Ps you mask is great. I once made a cardboard one for my 10” scope. It worked a treat 

Mine works but the spikes are fairly small in the live view and for some reason my cats seem to love to mess with it if they can get their paws on it, so I think I'll have to keep it in the camera bag!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Have you tried a lorde Y mask it might cut less light and show the spikes clearer.

I hadn't even heard of that until now! I've looked into it and it does seem to be much easier to make with the same, if not more, effect. My friend recently invested in a 3D printer so I may ask if he'd print one for me, a bit stronger than card I'd have thought.

19 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Have you tried a lorde Y mask it might cut less light and show the spikes clearer.

I have used a Y mask and, while letting more light trhrough, this stays in the stars Instead of migrating into the spikes. 

So, my experience with it wasn't positive and I reverted back to a bathinov. 

I post a picture of the comparison: the Y mask is the leftmost one, the others are two slightly different bathinovs.

Fabio

_20190302_094130.JPG

Edited by FaDG