Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Using RA finders

Well... 

Having acquired a big dob I've had my first exposure to a relatively deluxe finder - the SW 8x50. But... as it is a right angled finder, I'm having a bit of a mare using it. I mean I have no idea how to point it in the right area of the sky! It seems quite difficult to get it in the right part of the sky and the field isn't so big that star hopping is particularly any easier either. Obviously for bright targets its not such an issue but for chasing the fainter stuff it seems nearly impossible; so much so that I've changed to a trusty 6x30 I had lying around as its a straight through design that makes like much easier, which feels a bit disappointing really.

The obvious solution is to buy an accessory finder - like a Telrad or RDF or something, but I can't help but think if I forked out on a Telrad it would completely supercede the finder anyway and begs the question; if you have to buy another finder to make your original finder work... well... then whats the point of the original finder?

Does anyone exclusively use a RA finder for finding their way around and, if so, do they have any tricks or tips on how to do it?

I use Rigel + RA finder with my MN78.

https://stargazerslounge.com/attachments/?page=4

The MN78 is in the obsy on a fixed pier with goto. If things go astray for any reason, the Rigel is great for a 'first find'.
Ignore the ST102 in the image. That was part of some playing around/trials I was doing.

On non-goto newt scopes I have always used an RA finder.
But some won't go near them and insist on straight finders.
Give it a try. Why not buy a used straight finder and see how you like it?
Generally you can sell on 2nd hand kit for little or no loss.

David.

Telrad wouldn't supersede it, not on a large reflector. They complement each other. A magnifying finder allows you to see things that you don't see naked eye. It gives you more pointers for star-hopping and wider field than lowest power eyepiece and allows to point exactly at objects you wouldn't be able to with just RDF/Telrad/Rigel.

I use RDF + RACI finder and they work well together. I have also used straight through finder but find it less convenient ergonomically. 

I find it difficult switching my brain from upside down / left to right views between finder and main scope and interpreting this from the star map, which is always "right way up".  That's why Telrad is so good.

Hmmm, a RACI finder follows the movements you make in steering the scope. That seems to me to be the most important thing. You push right and up, the finder's view goes right and up.  Movements will be inverted vertically at the EP but that's no big deal, I don't find. I would find a mirror view RA finder a nightmare, I'm sure. I could live with straight through but would choose a RACI myself.

A Dob needs a Telrad! (Warning, I'm a fan.)  I've no time for red dot finders. The Telrad circle gives you a visible scale in degrees on the sky which helps you to place yourself between bright stars and estimate distances. A dot is just a dot. And the Telrad has proper batteries. If I leave it turned on for a week it's still going strong and will last ages longer. Those wretched watch batteries don't forgive you if you leave them on for a day. Also I've had three Telrads, the oldest for about 20 years, and they all work. All three red dot finders I've had, of three different makes, have packed up.

Olly

I've used a combination of Rigel Quikfinder and 9x50 RACI optical finders on my 12 inch dobsonian for a few years now. As someone who navigates around using star charts and / or my memory, this approach works well for me :smiley:

For really "fine" star hopping / target location I also use low power / wide field eyepieces for the final stages.

• Like 1

I wonder how many prefer one or the other of the finders. Telrad or Quikfinder? Personaly I just don’t get along with the Quikfinder and don’t like using it and find the Telrad much nicer to use.

So Telrad or Quikfinder? 🤔

Yes....

Some good points but I think everyone has just reinforced the point I was trying to make; RACI finders - on their own - as supplied by the manufacturer - aren't actually used by anyone for their intended purpose.

They are, at best, used to complement a Rigel / or Telrad. I'm a big fan of Telrad's and understand their place (I actually use a Telrad friendly version of the messier chart for finding messiers), but it seems to me that the point everyone is unanimous is either:

"RACI finders work great... as long as you have something else to actually do the finding" or...

"I never got one to work so I don't use it"

So I wonder why SW ship them with packages as the only way of finding your way around the sky if they don't work?

3 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

I use Rigel + RA finder with my MN78.

https://stargazerslounge.com/attachments/?page=4

The MN78 is in the obsy on a fixed pier with goto. If things go astray for any reason, the Rigel is great for a 'first find'.
Ignore the ST102 in the image. That was part of some playing around/trials I was doing.

On non-goto newt scopes I have always used an RA finder.
But some won't go near them and insist on straight finders.
Give it a try. Why not buy a used straight finder and see how you like it?
Generally you can sell on 2nd hand kit for little or no loss.

David.

Thanks I'm using a straightfinder instead already; that's what my post was about!

I've tried all sorts of finders and in the end found the combination of a red circle finder (telrad or Rigel) and a 9*50 raci finder to be best for me. I now have this set up on all my scopes big enough to allow it.

Often the telrad does the job, but the 9x50 is good for going across faint star fields. It is also useful in that I can leave a high powered eyepiece in place because I don't have to use the main scope for finding purposes... unless I'm looking for something very difficult.

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

They just need to bring out a Telrad Mk2. Same workings but without that huge empty box on the front.🤔

Also glass that doesn't fog up by the time you move onto your second target of the night. 

• Haha 2