Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY Pier

dtastro

Looks very neat. The sort of thing I would like to build if I ever get the OK from Mrs Swoop.

The hollows look like ideal rests for a nice cold beer when engaged in a bit of solar🍺

17 hours ago, dtastro said:

Trust me that block isn't moving anywhere...it's rock solid...I'm more likely to bounce off it 🙂  There's 70kg of concrete in that hole.

Like I said, I'm sure it's fine, but the weight of concrete is not the most important factor IMO, but the depth and width (and 70kg is not actually that great by "traditional" pier block dimensions). My pier block is a 75cm cube by comparison, with rebar going through the block into the surrounding ground, but I accept this may be a bit of overkill!

Interested in your security solution. For interest, how strong are the sides of the blocks, as they look quite narrow? Would it be possible to crack the sides with a single blow with a lump hammer I wonder? Probably unlikely to occur of course, but there has to be a risk of leaving the EQ6 permanently mounted. If someone has a mind to steal your kit, they'll probably find a way. A friend of mine takes his mount off the pier at the end of every session, which obviously eliminates the risk.

Looks very neat and tidy though and I'm sure will work fine. The new EQ6 mount is a nice design. Are you not tempted by imaging? 😉 

I reckon it will be fine, especially for visual.  When you consider that Peter Drew's piers are just fastened to a paving slab, I'd say this is quite a bit more resistant to moving.  There's a lot of mass  there.  Mine are taller than this one and all the bases are partially above ground, though from memory they're about 60cm cubes and when our builder put his foot on the top of one and gave it a shove it didn't move anywhere.  Made me wince though :D

The blocks themselves are quite solid.  I could smash through one with a sledgehammer relatively easily, but a lump hammer would definitely take several bites at the cherry.

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...