SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY Pier

dtastro

Re: Joining those concrete blocks.

1. Use large good fitting washers on each side of the joining screw.

2. At the join between the blocks you may make a paste made of floor leveling compound. This paste will serve as a gasket. The floor leveling compound is a very high strength ( 18MPa ) cement and will also serve to anchor the screws in place.

Jeremy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtastro said:

40cm square and I'm going to concrete a hollow concrete block in the hole with bolts already installed.

Good luck with that.

Will you be pouring the concrete in direct contact with the ground in the hole? I would personally suggest this as the best approach. Some folks put shuttering around the edges of the hole and then remove this once the concrete has gone off and backfill with a vibration reducing material. I personally worry about this method unless the concrete block is very substantial. For your build I don't think the block is massive enough for this approach and may risk movement of the pier.

• Like 1

The concrete block will be in contact with the ground and so will the concrete mix. I'm pretty sure it will be sound.  I'v seen people glueing blocks to paving stones with success so I'm sure this will be fine.  My equipment isn't that heavy really.

• Like 2

Well i've made good progress today. Block is in the hole and levelled up with another block on top. Stud hold them together with lock nuts on top and bottom. Tent pegs on the bottom of the hollows to help keep rigid. Ready to mix the concrete when it's cooler.

Even got the obligatory diy pier injury for my efforts 🙂

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01462.jpg

DSC01463.jpg

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01465.jpg

DSC01466.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

Edited by dtastro
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Looks good but a much easier way is to get a piece of 8" diameter plastic drainage pipe, hammer some rebar into it and fill it with concrete into the block in the ground in one pour and set the pier top assembly into the wet concrete.  When all dry, paint the outside of the plastic whatever colour you need to blend in with your surroundings.  It's cheap, easy, looks good and is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Looks good but a much easier way is to get a piece of 8" diameter plastic drainage pipe, hammer some rebar into it and fill it with concrete into the block in the ground in one pour and set the pier top assembly into the wet concrete.  When all dry, paint the outside of the plastic whatever colour you need to blend in with your surroundings.  It's cheap, easy, looks good and is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar.

This was the easier option for me and if need be I can remove the blocks.  I'm only putting an EQ6 on it for visual.

49 minutes ago, dtastro said:

This was the easier option for me and if need be I can remove the blocks.  I'm only putting an EQ6 on it for visual.

Indeed.  But you can remove the "pipe peer" as well with an angle grinder in ten mins and then cover the stump up afterwards.

Amway, good idea to build a peer.  Good man.

Concrete added. Ended up putting 3 bags in and there was still loads of water. Had to rush to Wickes and get a couple more bags. When I got back the water had gone and the concrete had levelled out, but it was very soft so I added half a bag more and wet it. Hopefully it will all dry ok.

Will leave it to dry a couple of days before putting the other block on.

DSC01469.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

Edited by dtastro
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, dtastro said:

The concrete block will be in contact with the ground and so will the concrete mix. I'm pretty sure it will be sound.  I'v seen people glueing blocks to paving stones with success so I'm sure this will be fine.  My equipment isn't that heavy really.

Yes the weight shouldn’t be a problem. My only small concern is not with the weight, but the small risk of you accidentally leaning or falling against the pier. The height of the pier/ mount will create significant leverage and the block may not be massive enough to resist the torque forces acting on it, causing the block to loosen or the pier to move slightly. 

If you’re only doing visual this may not be a risk worth worrying about, but something to be aware of. So long as you don’t bash into the pier you’ll probably be ok!

Trust me that block isn't moving anywhere...it's rock solid...I'm more likely to bounce off it 🙂  There's 70kg of concrete in that hole.

Edited by dtastro

3 hours ago, dtastro said:

Trust me that block isn't moving anywhere...it's rock solid...I'm more likely to bounce off it 🙂  There's 70kg of concrete in that hole.

As the plonker who only used gorilla glue on 3 blocks and a paving slab (all above ground), amd a 3d printed pier adapter I can confirm this lol. I recently reversed my mower tractor into mine and it dented the mower! In a year of use my polar alignment went from Great to Good in sharpcap and I have little to no issues with wind during imaging.

My logic was 70-90kg of support above ground was still 100x sturdier than the tripod it came with. The paving slab helps to spread that leaning load I think should it happen.

It looks good painted by the way - I might have to do that as the S.O isn't best pleased with my building supplies statue.

Top block on and second coat of paint. Should be ready to put the mount on soon. Just need to infill the bottom when the paint is dry. What do you reckon...pebbles...or soil?

Checked level...it's a tiny amount out either way...not bad. EQ mount so not a concern.

DSC01471.jpg

• Like 3

I'd probably go with stone of some sort, so you don't need to reverse into it with the mower :D  Not that the grass won't encroach on it anyhow.  I guess the advantage of grass would be a softer landing for anything that gets dropped.

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless contained, pebbles have a habit of spreading far and wide...

Unless they are pretty big, of course...

I am looking forward to seeing how you connect the NEQ6 to the pier.

Gordon.

2 hours ago, JamesF said:

I'd probably go with stone of some sort, so you don't need to reverse into it with the mower :D Not that the grass won't encroach on it anyhow.  I guess the advantage of grass would be a softer landing for anything that gets dropped.

James

Used cotswold stone

1 hour ago, dtastro said:

Have a chain and lock through the handle and concrete block

An interesting benefit of this type of pier!

Nice job.

Ady

On 14/05/2019 at 15:46, kirkster501 said:

I'm not sure about 'much easier'... sounds as much effort if not more. 

Both have their advantages, but one problem with the poured concrete pier is how to attach the mount. With this version @dtastrohas been able to reuse his tripod base and screw - which is definitely cheap and easy 🙂 

1 hour ago, adyj1 said:

I'm not sure about 'much easier'... sounds as much effort if not more. 

Both have their advantages, but one problem with the poured concrete pier is how to attach the mount. With this version @dtastrohas been able to reuse his tripod base and screw - which is definitely cheap and easy 🙂 

Only as much effort due to my age and level of health 🙂