Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DIY Pier

dtastro

Haven't done any astronomy yet despite buying two telescopes, as I suffered from a back problem all last year. I've decided to make things easier for myself and build a diy pier in the garden.   Thought I would keep a visual diary of my diy pier as it's coming together.  

Having to dry the concrete blocks before painting...they've been sitting out in all the rain we've had lately,  meanwhile I'm gathering all the other parts I need.

Now what colour should I paint them...sandstone, white, or grey 🤔

DSC01453.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

5 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Having to keep cost down...should be fine being bolted also.

Can only speak for my own experience but mine are gorilla glued together without bolts (3 blocks) and then gorilla glued to a paving slab again without bolts and it hasnt moved at all.

Good luck with the build!

• Like 1

Personally I'd drill the holes for your bolts then a little bag of ready mixed fine sand and cement - spread the sand/cement mix, drop your bolts through and align everything then when the cement dries just snug the bolts up a little. You could use tile grout instead, again let it dry and then tighten things down.

2 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Personally I'd drill the holes for your bolts then a little bag of ready mixed fine sand and cement - spread the sand/cement mix, drop your bolts through and align everything then when the cement dries just snug the bolts up a little. You could use tile grout instead, again let it dry and then tighten things down.

thats not a very reliable way of securing threaded bar in concrete. resin chemical fixing are cheap and you'd have to smash the blocks open to get the bolts out. 

18 minutes ago, dtastro said:

Having to keep cost down...should be fine being bolted also.

For the value of the kit you'll have that depends on those bolts staying in place year after year, I'd spend a tenner now on a tube of resin.
As Gina says: Ha'porth of tar, and all that :)

Edited by pete_l
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

thats not a very reliable way of securing threaded bar in concrete. resin chemical fixing are cheap and you'd have to smash the blocks open to get the bolts out. 

Totally agree. With nothing to stop the threaded bar from rotating when the nuts are tightened up the bar will just rotate. The best / simplest  way is to do it properly with resin anchor bolts.

If i wanted to join those 2 blocks, i'd

1. drill 8 holes, 4x 200mm holes in each end

2. cut 4x 350mm lengths of treaded bar

3. drop a resin vial into 4 of the holes, knock the bar into the hole to break vial and let it cure

4. drop another 4 vials into the other 4 holes and then drop the block with the bars already cured into the empty holes. 

once thats cured they will be as good as a single cast block. 

• Like 1

+ another one for the resin adhesive... ONe tube goes a long way and if you are careful, one will be enough. But it goes off quickly, so prepare carefully and then work quickly...

Gordon

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bukko said:

+ another one for the resin adhesive... ONe tube goes a long way and if you are careful, one will be enough. But it goes off quickly, so prepare carefully and then work quickly...

Gordon

i always use the resin vials. measured amount and no waste. always have a box or 2 in the van

• Like 1

I didn't realise the resin was available in vials.  I shall look out for them.  I was thinking only the other day that I have a job to do where it would be a sensible choice.

James

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I didn't realise the resin was available in vials.  I shall look out for them.  I was thinking only the other day that I have a job to do where it would be a sensible choice.

James

yeah, its one of those things that you rarely need a full tube. works out under £1 a vial. they are glass, you slide them in then push the bolt/bar in and then give a tap with the hammer to smash the glass and seat the bolt/bar . zero mess and no waste

Edited by Anthonyexmouth
  • Like 1

Holes drilled...I know at least 3 of them line up...the 4th may go in with some persuasion 🙂

Only just managed to drill the 5mm guide holes before the bit wore out.  Also be warned after drilling with the 10mm bit the bolts and stud wouldn't go through...I had to pop out and get a 12mm bit

1st coat of masonry paint on...the 2nd can go on when it's in place.  I went with white 🙂

DSC01455.jpg

Edited by dtastro
  • Like 4

At last some clear sky and I've marked out a point where my pier is going to go. It's situated for next door's shed to block out an annoying street light, another neighbours tree blocks out some bedroom windows. That leaves me with a good view of Polaris for setting up, a gap between the trees in the east, a fairly clear south and west above my rooftop, plus everything up above. I may need to put a screen up on one fence panel to block out the neighbour's security light. Sorted 🙂

Now I need to start digging the hole and getting the stud cut to size.

• Like 1