Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Important - New Server - Downtime Tonight 9pm

1 hour ago, Ant said:

Maybe we limit the smilies that are displayed? If you know the shortcut you can still type it, we just limit the drop down contents ? 

I didn't count properly, but there are around 2000 emoticons. At between 0.5-1kb each - so if they are all loading on selecting that dropdown thats between 1mb-2mb to download. They are all being resized too which slows down the loading a bit.

Maybe there is a way to find out which emoticons have been used the most and restrict it to those?

Then again I dont really mind waiting a few seconds each time I click it 🤣

17 minutes ago, Grant said:

It's significant, there website will give you some idea but it's not really something I feel comfortable discussing publicly.

Luckily for us, our sponsor FLO takes care of these bills so we don't have to feel the site with loads of flashing banner ads!

The lack of a ton of ads makes the site so much better.  Chapeaux for FLO for picking the tab up for the site.

• Like 1

We're fortunate SGL is in very capable hands.   If there was some official body to  monitor Internet forums to investigate their worth to the various  communities that benefit from them, then this place would surely rank very highly indeed, and the Blue Riband for Amateur Astronomy would be pinned to SGL's door.       

Of course we are spearheaded by the founders, and a great team of moderators, but the members here are the main ingredient that provides the flow of help, and knowledge. You can give yourselves a big pat on the back too.       I have been a member for 12 years, so I feel I can voice this appreciation.

Edited by barkis

4 hours ago, Grant said:

I'm not sure this is avoidable as there are so many emoticons in the list which just take awhile to load, especially on some browsers / internet connections. I confess, I never use this feature I just type the smilieys in but I will have a look.

Thanks. I'll try and learn the keyboard versions:   🙂   ":-)". 😉   ";-)".     There's 2.  

Just now, Ben the Ignorant said:

Pages do load a bit faster for me on the continent, included those from First Light Optics.

FLO doesn’t share hosting with SGL so any speed improvements there are coincidental or perhaps something else changed for your internet speed.

I have not noticed it before today, but I am having apparently random problems opening the editor to post or send PMs.  Basically the editor fails to open -- I just get the outer window with the "drag files" bit and "submit ...", but the body of the editor doesn't open.

Checking the console log in Firefox shows me:

Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://stargazerslounge.com/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/plugins/ipscontextmenu/lang/en-gb.js?t=J3P9”.

Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://stargazerslounge.com/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/plugins/removeformat/lang/en-gb.js?t=J3P9”.

TypeError: a.lang.ipscontextmenu is undefined

(the last being a consequence of the first, I assume).

Reloading until I can get the editor seems to be the only solution I've found at the moment.

Irritatingly, I forgot to check why the loading failed.  I'll do that next time it happens.

Obviously I don't post very much so I may not have noticed if it was a problem earlier 😚 and I'm not discounting the possibility of a problem at this end, but I'm as sure as I can be that it has only been happening today.

James

8 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I have not noticed it before today, but I am having apparently random problems opening the editor to post or send PMs.  Basically the editor fails to open -- I just get the outer window with the "drag files" bit and "submit ...", but the body of the editor doesn't open.

Checking the console log in Firefox shows me:

Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://stargazerslounge.com/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/plugins/ipscontextmenu/lang/en-gb.js?t=J3P9”.

Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://stargazerslounge.com/applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/plugins/removeformat/lang/en-gb.js?t=J3P9”.

TypeError: a.lang.ipscontextmenu is undefined

(the last being a consequence of the first, I assume).

Reloading until I can get the editor seems to be the only solution I've found at the moment.

Irritatingly, I forgot to check why the loading failed.  I'll do that next time it happens.

Obviously I don't post very much so I may not have noticed if it was a problem earlier 😚 and I'm not discounting the possibility of a problem at this end, but I'm as sure as I can be that it has only been happening today.

James

I can’t see any reason why they would sometimes load and sometimes not - those files are there and no other reports of this so far - bit of an odd one.

I will keep my eyes open.

32 minutes ago, Grant said:

FLO doesn’t share hosting with SGL so any speed improvements there are coincidental or perhaps something else changed for your internet speed.

I’m pedalling faster 😁

Steve

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Grant said:

I can’t see any reason why they would sometimes load and sometimes not - those files are there and no other reports of this so far - bit of an odd one.

I will keep my eyes open.

Could be something to do with Firefox, come to think of it.  There have been a couple of updates in very quick succession, including one last night.

James

Bad night sleep, no SGL!!! How long can this go on? Two hours on cloudy nights!

Worked all day, cold sweats. Will SGL be there after dinner? Hit my icon and ‘not available’ heart sinks.

Google SGL and all is restored. I can breath again. The effort I put in on the terminator challenge may not be lost after all.

Given the amazing submissions I am just happy to take park. One question? Why does the judging process take so long? I accidentally got my wife involved in the whole caper (getting out of bed at 3am and standing in the garden) she wants to know when the mug is getting here.....

I have tried to explain how it all works with equipment and astronomy but she thinks I am a winner. Lucky guy I know, might end up buying a mug from FLO and blagging  it.

Marvin

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/05/2019 at 21:18, Marvin Jenkins said:

One question? Why does the judging process take so long? I accidentally got my wife involved in the whole caper (getting out of bed at 3am and standing in the garden) she wants to know when the mug is getting here.....

Hi Marvin,

Mainly because real life gets in the way. Every Mod has the opportunity to vote.  It's unreasonable to say "you have to vote on the 1st" because thats not how we work. So we generally give everyone a week to vote. Then we tally the votes, work out the winner - then we organise the prize and create the banners etc. 

It just takes time and if real lives and jobs etc get in the way, they come first. Which is as it should be.

Ant

• Like 1