SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The moon in Colour

neil phillips

Hi guys Consider me retired from lunar imaging. Miss it  sometimes  come to think of it.

But looking at my old images I was struck by how beautiful the colours have come out on this. With browns reds, and blues and greens. Clicked full size. Notice how the good resolution of the equipment  reveals a wealth of subtle colour and detail almost everywhere you look. Its not just extra resolution of detail. But extra resolution of colour too.  Better resolution would reveal even more slight variations of colour I am sure. I was also struck how natural the saturation is. So natural that you could almost be forgiven for thinking you could see the moon like this with yours eyes alone, with some way of increasing colour sensitivity. Anyway as I say the most colour can be seen clicked full size its the first image of the page. See if you agree

10Orion F6.3 Newtonian NEQ6 Mount Altair Hypercam 178C Camera

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 14

Beautiful image Neil, it certainly does show a much more colourful Lunar landscape than the grey one generally presented through images. Particularly the blue colour in Mare Tranquillitatus which is clearly visible even at normal resolution.

7 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Beautiful image Neil, it certainly does show a much more colourful Lunar landscape than the grey one generally presented through images. Particularly the blue colour in Mare Tranquillitatus which is clearly visible even at normal resolution.

Hi Pete Good to see you. Yes agreed it can be seen on the cover photo. Just saw what I think is Jupiter earlier, its returning slowly. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Hi Pete Good to see you. Yes agreed it can be seen on the cover photo. Just saw what I think is Jupiter earlier, its returning slowly. 

It will be nice to get reacquainted with Jupiter again. Not been very easy for UK planetary imagers in recent years unfortunately.

On 09/05/2019 at 13:12, Pete Presland said:

It will be nice to get reacquainted with Jupiter again. Not been very easy for UK planetary imagers in recent years unfortunately.

..nor will it be for three more years or so.  Saturn another ten years.

Back on topic, superb pictures of the moon Neil.  Inspiring.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Saturn another ten years

True if you want to wait for it's maximum altitude, but it's up to ~25 deg by 2023 and gains about 5 deg altitude per year the following few years, so with an ADC I can work with that.....🙂