Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

DaveL59

COMPLETED - Wanted: TAL-M older 25mm eyepiece

Posted (edited)

Hi all

recently bought a TAL-M 1994 in its wooden case. Largely complete but needs restoring as the paint is rough. The main thing that is missing is the 25mm eyepiece, wrench and the end caps (both).  End caps I've ordered some parts that can be modified to suit so not a major issue. However the eyepiece would be nice to acquire if possible as regular 1.25's won't quite come into focus and sit higher in the tube. Tried moving the mirror up, which makes regular EP work but the Tal ones less so, but of course I'd forgotten that the finder uses the same EP and that won't focus with the newer EP's.

So, if anyone has a 25mm they are willing to part with, I'd appreciate hearing from them.

thanks, Dave

Edited by DaveL59

Also seen & read your intro and replied.

There are a few 25mm e/p's on --->https://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot - but none are TAL if you are interested.

You could purchase a vinyl tube end cap for the OTA from here --->https://www.bpfonline.co.uk/search.asp?catid=2979

Apologies in advance for the shameless advertising. Just doing my bit to help you.

Posted (edited)

thanks Philip

I'd already ordered some end caps, in fact I've just finished trimming/filing the fins off a 110mm tube/pipe end cap so that it slides into the end of the OTA and fits nice and snug ?

I had purchased a pair of EPs that are 25mm and 6.5mm plossls, but found that while they work great in the both the skywatcher and Nat Geo tiny dob, for the Tal-M they can't come into focus unless using the barlow. So I shifted the mirror up the tube 15mm and now they do but the down-side is the finder won't focus with these non-Tal ones. Would be nice to get an original Tal one day to complete the original spec so will keep a lookout for one...

Edited by DaveL59
  • Thanks 1

oh I guess I should add, having tried the Tal 15mm in one of the other scopes, it won't fit the 1.25-inch focuser, so I guess what I'm seeking is the older 25mm eyepiece that is a 32mm fit rather than a regular 1.25 incher, just to make life harder lol

ok just won an older tal-1 which has the mk1 25mm so no longer looking, well assuming all is good with it 🙂
Also has the clip on filters and 15mm so I can use these to mostly  complete the Tal-M and adapt this one for std EP's, move the mirror or change the focuser, likely the mirror but will see once I have it to test out.

Can't seem to amend the title to Found:... could an admin help out 🙂