SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Williams Optics 103mm Zenithstar

I am interested in the WO 103mm Zenithstar for visual use. Just wondering if others have this telescope. What their experiences are with this telescope. 

It would be great to have the opportunity to look through one. 

Thanks. 

Martin. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks simmo. I am not sure if many people have this telescope. There are no user reviews that I can find. 

My 60th birthday in July. The family are going to club together to buy me a telescope that I will keep. It is likely that the WO 103mm Zenithstar will be the one. I will post a review. 

It is a lovely scope but please note that it doesn't include in the box any accessories for visual use. At the very least I think you would need to buy the WO Rotolock Visual Back Adapter.  I think you would be best to check with the retailer to confirm that you will be able to use your existing diagonal, eyepieces  etc. (if any?), or which visual accessories are compatible with it.

Guest Vangelis

It's probably a decent scope. However, it's really poor value for money now in the UK market. For the same price you can get  a SW ED120 a highly reviewed and regarded scope that comes with a full kit of accessories and you get almost an inch more aperture for a similar price. It's a doublet and it also uses fpl53. For some reason W/O scopes have become really uncompetitive compared to Skywatcher and even Explore Scientific scopes. It may be due to the pound tanking against the dollar. I had a GT81 I bought new at the start of 2015 for £725. No accessories came with it. The same scope albeit with a different focuser is now nearly £1100. Not what I would call value for money. I would buy an Esprit 80 which is £200 cheaper and comes with all accessories. My GT81 was a great scope but no better optically than say an Esprit 80 or ES 80. I know they look nice but I would seriously think about buying an ED120 at the budget of the Zenithstar or even save a few hundred quid and buy an ED100.  

35 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

It's probably a decent scope. However, it's really poor value for money now in the UK market. For the same price you can get  a SW ED120 a highly reviewed and regarded scope that comes with a full kit of accessories and you get almost an inch more aperture for a similar price. It's a doublet and it also uses fpl53. For some reason W/O scopes have become really uncompetitive compared to Skywatcher and even Explore Scientific scopes. It may be due to the pound tanking against the dollar. I had a GT81 I bought new at the start of 2015 for £725. No accessories came with it. The same scope albeit with a different focuser is now nearly £1100. Not what I would call value for money. I would buy an Esprit 80 which is £200 cheaper and comes with all accessories. My GT81 was a great scope but no better optically than say an Esprit 80 or ES 80. I know they look nice but I would seriously think about buying an ED120 at the budget of the Zenithstar or even save a few hundred quid and buy an ED100.  

I did have an ED 120. It was a good refractor. But just too heavy and too long for my liking. I have also owned a 100mm f9 ED. But have always wish for an easier to manage 100mm with a shorter focal length. 

I have just looked at the Photo line 102mm f7 with FPL 53 objective. I would imagine a similar performance to the WO 103mm ZS. Has anyone purchased from Teleskop Services. How reliable are they? 

Guest Vangelis

At the current exchange rate that's £525 against £1095 more than double the cost. I suspect their made by Long Pering and are indeed the same optical elements. It's whether the handle, rings and gold paint are worth an extra £570. Also I have suspicions of their qc. Just look at the threads on collimation relating to their new Redcat scope. I bought a Losmandy mount from Teleskop Service and their service was excellent. Also these WO  scopes appear to have limited production availability whereas the TS photoline range have been available for a while. I suspect you woukd have greater after sales support if any fault develops with the TS model or you would get a fast direct replacement if one was faulty. Again I'm sure the W/O scope is good but it's still poor value in the market compared to the direct clones.

2 hours ago, Vangelis said:

At the current exchange rate that's £525 against £1095 more than double the cost. I suspect their made by Long Pering and are indeed the same optical elements. It's whether the handle, rings and gold paint are worth an extra £570. Also I have suspicions of their qc. Just look at the threads on collimation relating to their new Redcat scope. I bought a Losmandy mount from Teleskop Service and their service was excellent. Also these WO  scopes appear to have limited production availability whereas the TS photoline range have been available for a while. I suspect you woukd have greater after sales support if any fault develops with the TS model or you would get a fast direct replacement if one was faulty. Again I'm sure the W/O scope is good but it's still poor value in the market compared to the direct clones.

The Photo line with FPL 53 crown are £999.  I'm not sure the the lower priced Photo line has the higher quality glass element. 

Guest Vangelis

Dont get hung up on the old fpl 51 vrs fpl 53 Especially as your not imaging I would go for this F7 scope from TS  TS-Optics ED 110mm f/7 ED Refractor Telescope with 3" Crayford Focuser  link  https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p4652_TS-Optics-ED-110mm-f-7-ED-Refractor-Telescope-with-3--Crayford-Focuser.html  Within your budget but shorter than the F9 SW ED 100 Just buy another ED100 lol  Good luck. 

Many ED refractors in the range between 80mm and 130mm from TS Optics, Altair, Astro-Tech and Stellavue share the same origin (e.g. 102 f/7 doublet, 115 f/7 triplet, 125 f/7.8 doublet, etc.). The only difference you may find sometimes is the focuser. If I were to pick one of these scopes, I'd buy from Altair as they are based in UK so the shipping cost and the risk of damage during transportation would be the lowest.

WO scopes are mostly made by Longpern. There have been a few models with premium optics made by LZOS (FLT123) and TEC (early production FLT110), but otherwise the optical quality is comparable to the above four rebranders. I certainly wouldn't pay extra £400 for the fancy colour paint of the WO scopes when they are new. However in the used market WO are quite competitive.

Edited by KP82
  • Like 1

I've used TS many times and they are very good in my experience. It takes a few days longer to get the goods but they have been highly reliable whenever I've used them.

I would be tempted by this one:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9868_TS-Optics-PhotoLine-102mm-f-7-FPL-53-Doublet-Apo-with-2-5--Focuser.html

Stu

This scope was on my hit list, but like others above I thought the new price was on the steep side compared to the analogous competition.  In the end I was fortunate to acquire a smaller triplet WO scope used for significantly less.  I'll probably add a larger aperture Mak at some point for visual obs and still come in less than the cost of the new ZS103.  It is a looker though - can't deny that. 

Edited by Martthebass

11 hours ago, Stu said:

I've used TS many times and they are very good in my experience. It takes a few days longer to get the goods but they have been highly reliable whenever I've used them.

I would be tempted by this one:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p9868_TS-Optics-PhotoLine-102mm-f-7-FPL-53-Doublet-Apo-with-2-5--Focuser.html

Stu

Altair version is a bit cheaper.

https://www.altairastro.com/Starwave-102ED-FPL53-Refractor.html

I have this scope and I'm very happy with it for observing. Jon @parallaxerr also has one and he is a more experienced observer than me so be interesting to find out how he finds it?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Martthebass said:

This scope was on my hit list, but like others above I thought the new price was on the steep side compared to the analogous competition.  In the end I was fortunate to acquire a smaller triplet WO scope used for significantly less.  I'll probably add a larger aperture Mak at some point for visual obs and still come in less than the cost of the new ZS103.  It is a looker though - can't deny that. 

I also have a great Celestron C5. But would like to compliment it with a good quality ed refractor of manageable size. 

9 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I also have a great Celestron C5. But would like to compliment it with a good quality ed refractor of manageable size. 

I met Jon (parallaxer) at Kettering earlier this year, where he bought his scope. The scope looked delicious, and he said he'd post his views on its performance  but as yet he hasn't made any comment as far as I'm aware. Perhaps you should send him a pm to find out how he feels about it?

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I'm still here loitering, despite being quiet of late. Our little bundle of joy has been teething terribly so sleep has become somewhat of a commodity, meaning I have achieved exactly ZERO scope time with the AA102ED-R :(

I'm hoping to get out soon though. My horizons aren't the best so there have been few targets within reach of a 4" frac anyway, but things are coming around and there's always the moon when we're confident a good nights sleep can be had!

P.S. I looked at the ZS103 at Kettering and to be honest there was nothing in my eye that justified the extra cost over the Altair equivalent. Yes, it's a robust scope with a quality feel, but so is the AA. The only real distinguishing feature was the livery, which unfortunately I found a little garish.

Edited by parallaxerr
  • Like 3