SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader ultra narrow band o3 filter

pietervdv

Hi, 

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this filter?

https://www.astroshop.eu/oiii-filters/baader-ultra-narrowband-4-5nm-oiii-ccd-filter-1-25-/p,62162

Curious to know how it compares to the 8,5 nm filter which I owned in the past and was not very impressed with. I am considering this as an alternative for the 5nm Astrodon o3. 

Thanks, 

Pieter

Hi Pieter, I've been waiting for this to appear because, like you, I don't think much of the 8nm one I now have. At this price I think I'll risk it. Thanks for pointing out that it's available!

Olly

11 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Hi Pieter, I've been waiting for this to appear because, like you, I don't think much of the 8nm one I now have. At this price I think I'll risk it. Thanks for pointing out that it's available!

Olly

Hi Olly, Sounds like you owe me a beer for this great tip. ? I'll also go for it, I can tweak my imaging train to fit the 1,25" version in. Want to get into the faint planetary nebulae, guess I'll find out what it's worth pretty soon. 

Pieter

Ill be getting a SII 4.5nm as the price increase for AD 5nm filters and the amount of time ill actually spend using a SII filter in comparison to OIII and Ha means its just not worth it to me.

1 hour ago, pietervdv said:

Hi Olly, Sounds like you owe me a beer for this great tip. ? I'll also go for it, I can tweak my imaging train to fit the 1,25" version in. Want to get into the faint planetary nebulae, guess I'll find out what it's worth pretty soon. 

Pieter

Heh heh, I think I can stand you a beer next time! Being from Belgium you really like French supermarket 3.5% lager, no doubt??? ?

Olly

• Haha 1

Guys, I am looking forward to hear about your experiences with this new flter, so place your orders! I need a 2" one and I see it is not for free at Astroshop.eu (366 Euro) but I am in no hurry since astrodarkenss has left us up here for a few months?.

47 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Ill be getting a SII 4.5nm as the price increase for AD 5nm filters and the amount of time ill actually spend using a SII filter in comparison to OIII and Ha means its just not worth it to me.

Just looked at the price of Astrodons, and they're gone from stupidly expensive to some kind of stratospheric insanity. My 3nm set cost £385 each when I bought them back in 2015, now they're £570 :eek:, the others, even the 5nm have gone through the roof too.

I will though, I think, add a set of Baader Ultranarrow to the cart when I buy my 16200 camera.

1 minute ago, DaveS said:

Just looked at the price of Astrodons, and they're gone from stupidly expensive to some kind of stratospheric insanity. My 3nm set cost £385 each when I bought them back in 2015, now they're £570 :eek:, the others, even the 5nm have gone through the roof too.

I will though, I think, add a set of Baader Ultranarrow to the cart when I buy my 16200 camera.

The thing to remember is that while not very narrow the original 7nm / 8nm Baader filters are not bad filters by any stretch, they have reasonably good coatings etc. So if these new filters are better still it will start to cut into the AD marked given how much they have increased their prices.

When I replaced my Baader 7nm Ha for a Baader 3.5 nm Ha, my impression was that it made a very significant improvement, but that is so far from a single night with the 3.5 nm and seeing could have been unusually good. Maybe someone else have compared them?

Edited by gorann

Well, I just pressed the button on this one for the small format rig (dual TEC140/Atik 460/Moravian G3-8300.)  The Moravian already has an AD 3nm Ha in it so the ability to shoot good narrowband simultaneously in both barrels will be very nice. Planetaries do make great targets. I greatly enjoyed doing the Owl even with a rather old Astronoùmk OIII but both that and the Baader 8nm we have in the widefield rig require a lot of processing to hold down the star halos.

Olly

I just placed the order to get the complete LRGB and ultra narrow band set for Ha 3.5, OIII 4.5 and SII 4.5 to go with my new G4-16000 camera.

But won't get the order until Mid July.

On 08/05/2019 at 08:21, ollypenrice said:

Olly

I've got 2010 vintage Baader nb filters. I'd be interested in how you get on with the ultranarrowband O3. I'd like to upgrade.

Anne

2 hours ago, Anne S said:

I've got 2010 vintage Baader nb filters. I'd be interested in how you get on with the ultranarrowband O3. I'd like to upgrade.

Anne

I'll do a comparison as soon as I'm able.

Olly

Hmmm, I hope this product isn't 'vapourware!' Just in from Telescope Service:

Dear Mr. Penrice,

The delivery of the following items you ordered 
is unfortunately delayed due to delivery postponed by our supplier:

Product No. 62162 – Baader Ultra-Narrowband 4.5nm OIII CCD-Filter 1,25"
We can probably ship this product on the 01.10.2019

Please let us know how you would like us to proceed with your order.
Should we not hear from you, we will just deliver your original 
order as soon as possible.

We gladly answer any of your questions by e-mail or telephone.

Best Regards

Customer Support Astroshop.eu

13 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Just checked @FLO site. The 1.25" is the only size showing red "unavailable", the other sizes show orange 7-10 days.

Following your post I phoned Baader-UK. They say the 1.25" Baader Ultra-Narrowband 4.5nm OIII Filter is in stock at Baader-Gmbh so ETA should be 2-3 weeks. I have updated our website. 

@ollypenrice things might be different for your German retailer. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

On 13/05/2019 at 14:39, ollypenrice said:

I'll do a comparison as soon as I'm able.

Olly

Would be interested in AD 5nm vs Baader 4.5nm vs Baader 7nm if possible with regard to reflections more than anything else. 

Adam

39 minutes ago, FLO said:

Following your post I phoned Baader-UK. They say the 1.25" Baader Ultra-Narrowband 4.5nm OIII Filter is in stock at Baader-Gmbh so ETA should be 2-3 weeks. I have updated our website. 

... but Baader's own website says it isn't in stock and my colleague, James, recalls they said it could be a few months. With that in mind I will put our product page back to 'unavailable'. 

Pity. Because there is clearly plenty of interest. 

Steve 

1 minute ago, FLO said:

... but Baader's own website says it isn't in stock and my colleague, James, recalls they said it could be a few months. With that in mind I will put our product page back to 'unavailable'. 

Pity. Because there is clearly plenty of interest. 

Steve 

I was half expecting it to be unavailable but if you get them before TS I'll buy from you, Steve. It's just that mine is a Euro business and staying in the Euro is easier.

Olly

41 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Would be interested in AD 5nm vs Baader 4.5nm vs Baader 7nm if possible with regard to reflections more than anything else. 

Adam

I've never had reflections in any Ha filter, Adam.

Olly

15 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

It's just that mine is a Euro business and staying in the Euro is easier.

I hope our customers in France don't start feeling that way 🙃

Steve