Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which NV tube is 'best' for EEVA?

HI all, considering trying out EEVA with a military surplus Gen 2 NV tube on my 20" dob. How crazy would that be!

I haven't had much time to research this I'm afraid, thus relying on a bit of help if possible.

One tube has a 50mm input and 40mm output window, the other 40mm input/output. There are genuine mil spec tubes.

The 50/40mm is supposed to be excellent for astronomy due to resolution.

Any thoughts? If not these, what's the best NV tube going for EEVA at the moment under or around £1000? Preferably WAY under £1000 ? but if I'm going to get something, I want to get a really good one rather than keep trading up as I go. Life is too short!

Clear skies all.

• Like 1

Update - I've bought a Mullard XX1332 Gen 2 NV tube from a tank sight, for little more than a really good 2" O-III filter.  It apparently has one of the widest FOVs out there with the 50mm sensor. 

Now I've a bit of a project this summer! Watch this space...

• Like 2

Good luck, generally the newer and higher spec the better they take filtration that helps to improve the view and make nebulae more visible. I’d gut a long pass filter (eg680nm) and get away from the worst of the light pollution to show more stars and then look to try a wide  hydrogen alpha filter (12nm maybe). I don’t know the relative sensitivity or spectrum of the tube so you’ll have to report how you get on.

PEter

PS for low(er) cost NV I’d recommend the secondhand market for Gen3. Stuff does come up as hunters move to thermal.

Edited by PeterW
Addition

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

Good luck, generally the newer and higher spec the better they take filtration that helps to improve the view and make nebulae more visible. I’d gut a long pass filter (eg680nm) and get away from the worst of the light pollution to show more stars and then look to try a wide  hydrogen alpha filter (12nm maybe). I don’t know the relative sensitivity or spectrum of the tube so you’ll have to report how you get on.

PEter

PS for low(er) cost NV I’d recommend the secondhand market for Gen3. Stuff does come up as hunters move to thermal.

Hi Peter, thanks very much for the tips, especially on the filters. I didn't pay a huge amount for the NV tube, the XX1332 is fairly old tech these days, but has a large 50mm aperture (again, that might not be of particular use). I am hoping combined with the size of the scope it will reveal a fair bit of detail that would otherwise be difficult to see. I'll try it with some filters once I've adapted it and see how it does, if anything, I'll stick a fast 50mm camera lens on the front and use it for meteor showers, etc. Gen3 seems like a big step up at the moment price-wise, perhaps that will come down a bit as time goes on!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve seen some interesting use of the xx1332 coupled to security cameras. Sort of an enhanced video astronomy approach. They’ve been really useful for meteor detection. Some gen 2’s also good for viewing the more dense HII regions of the Milky Way. In addition to the filter selections PeterW gave, you might try a 642nm longpass to both cut light pollution and still let hydrogen alpha wavelength through. I’ve seen some good video of billowing gas clouds with gen 2+.

I always wanted to try one of these old Mullard/Philips tubes with the big 50mm window. Very interested to see how you fare with it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2019 at 13:27, Vondragonnoggin said:

I’ve seen some interesting use of the xx1332 coupled to security cameras. Sort of an enhanced video astronomy approach. They’ve been really useful for meteor detection. Some gen 2’s also good for viewing the more dense HII regions of the Milky Way. In addition to the filter selections PeterW gave, you might try a 642nm longpass to both cut light pollution and still let hydrogen alpha wavelength through. I’ve seen some good video of billowing gas clouds with gen 2+.

I always wanted to try one of these old Mullard/Philips tubes with the big 50mm window. Very interested to see how you fare with it. 

Thanks, the tube is on a long list of modifications, so will be a little time before it's up and running, but I have powered it up at night and is working. Worked quite well in fact. I simply held a plossl in front to achieve focus, and it was pretty impressive I reckon. I'll let you know how I get on, but will be a little while.

• Like 1