Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aligning Skywatcher AZ GTi

I love my AZ GTi - but it has one really annoying habit: If I roughly point it to the object I want to observe, switch it on and start alignment, it slews to the point it thinks the object is... what nonsense! Is there any way I can tell the mount that the telescope is already pointing the right direction? I would find that much more natural to point the telescope to the star, instead of having to point it North first. The app would just need one more button "Start alignment in direction of first object" (or sth similar). 

Am I doing anything wrong, or is this just the way the app is working?

Best

Thomas

20 minutes ago, ThomasLondon said:

I love my AZ GTi - but it has one really annoying habit: If I roughly point it to the object I want to observe, switch it on and start alignment, it slews to the point it thinks the object is... what nonsense! Is there any way I can tell the mount that the telescope is already pointing the right direction? I would find that much more natural to point the telescope to the star, instead of having to point it North first. The app would just need one more button "Start alignment in direction of first object" (or sth similar). 

Am I doing anything wrong, or is this just the way the app is working?

Best

Thomas

The mount needs a known start point (home position) from where it can then slew to the first alignment star. The mount assumes that the home position is level and pointing north. From there the handset/app can then create a model of the stars based upon date/time/location and home position.

• Like 1

I know there is an option under 'tracking' for 'point and track' under the 'sun' rate (if the 'observe sun' has been enabled).

i haven't been able to try it because it doesn't appear to be highlighted when I click on it! Any one else come across this issue?

I have the pro version - but Point and Track does not seem to work for me, it follows the sun in az, but not in alt. Maybe I am making a mistake? 

If anything is grayed out or does not react - most functions d not work unless your last telescope movement was up and right. Did you try that?

Best

Thomas