Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Repainting Skywatcher counterbalance weights

fifeskies

I used white Hammerite hammered finish, but as I couldn't find it in a spray can had to mix it with thinners and spray it from my air driven spray gun. 

The result was acceptable rather than wonderful. 

If you go this route your local automotive paint factor may be able to come up with a very much cheaper alternative to the unbelievably expensive Hammerite thinners.  Mine did.

Edited by almcl

Use white smooth hammerite paint, put on with a brush and stipple the paint on and when it dries it looks just like the finish on the EQ6 mount heads, with that slight stipple finish...works really well...

• Like 2

I did one of mine with Rust-oleum a couple years ago and its not bad .

There a few chips now but it has been on and off the mount and transported arround a bit as well.

I keep saying I will do the others.

21 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

Thanks to all the suggestions , will probably try the hammerite spray from Amazon.

Though , being in Scotland , I'm tempted to go for a custom finish.

scotclans-tartan-paint1.jpg

On a serious note, with the Hammerite spray, make sure you let it dry under natural light for a few days, as if you don’t it yellows really easily and needs doing again, I used once and after 24 hours put the weights away, and next time I used they were yellow, so I then used the brush on paint, but still let them dry under natural light for a good few days.

Typical EU rules don’t allow the same amount chemicals in the paints anymore which stopped the yellowing effect, it’s the same with oil based house gloss paints too, i recently did the whole inside of my house with gloss white Dulux oil based paint and within three weeks it had yellowed slightly and after a battle with Dulux , got a financial compensation from them as it was not stated properly on the tin, and they have had to pay out millions in claims to people over the past few years, it’s a big issue with them..the only way to make sure it stays white is to use water based gloss, which you then need about three coats of.......sorry rant over.. :)