Zero Optical Path Binoviewers

niallk

Hi,

Anyone on here use these?

binoviewer-parfocal-1000.thumb.jpg.83099f56ad70146394273c08627447df.jpg

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10297_TS-Optics-Binoviewer-1-0-magnification-zero-optical-path-and-erect-image.html

I'm considering for my Lunt LS50.

Concerned about internal reflections / scatter for Ha use.

A secondary use would be planets in my 15" dob (if they ever come back... ;) )

I nearly pulled the trigger before. Saw a review recently in one of the astro mags: I think reflections could be a potential concern...

If solar activity shows signs of picking up, I might go for it.  I know that could be a while off still ?

Yeah... There are many opinions from people who have not used them there too!!

I read more than one report of imbalance in brightness - in what I understood to be a nominally symmetric design??

Then I more recently read a S@N review (I think) which was actually quite positive - at least for DSOs in a 16" dob.

I've flip flopped on these, and I guess I wanted to fish for opinions I trust ;)

I'm guilty of really wanting them to be good, but knowing in my heart that there's a price with complicated optics... at least at this price which are not designed by TeleVue!

Hmmm... I'll hold off for now i think ?

My first look through a Ha scope was a 60mm Lunt with a 50mm front mounted etalon, through a TeleVue binoviewer with tv plossls. It was absolutely exquisite!  I'd love a poor man's approximation in my LS50DS.  I get great views mono, but know what my maxbright did in my 10" on planets.  Just can't reach focus with it in my Lunt, unfortunately...

I’m not sure what you mean, Niall, about not reaching focus.

I can reach focus with my WO binoviewers in the Lunt 60 using a WO 2x ‘nosepiece’ or using a 2.5x Powermate. Longer eyepieces help to mitigate the resultant high magnification. Mostly I use TV plossls.

Certainly no chance of focussing without the Barlow in the optical train and anything less than 2x is not sufficient.

Wish I could compare my view with the one you had with a TV binoviewer ... ?

Cheers - it seems like the LS60 is what's required to reach focus with binoviewers - and is often cited in what I've read as one of the reasons, beyond raw aperture, to go for the 60mm: as I found out, it's widely reported that it's "not possible" with the LS50.  I run up against 'inwards focus' limitations ie making the path shorter.  Neither my 2.6x GPC or my 2.5x PM are successful.  Ive tried re ordering the blocking filter/GPC ahead of the BV.  Ive tried in both the stock + Moonlight upgrade focussers.  The only option I've seen stated to work for the LS50 is from Siebert optics.

I'll be very glad to hear that I'm wrong - I haven't read that any of the other Baader GPC options would help :)

Archived