Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which is best scope for solar viewing/ imaging?

Guest chaz2b

Guest chaz2b

I have quite a few scopes with which to do solar work, and I know the requirements of each filter I have, both quarks and a combo, also the solaREDi filter, I also use the daystar erf as well as an uv ir filter.

Currently I have been using them in a Orion short field acromat, with a Baader400 filter, and a Borg 100 APO.

I have not used them with either a Newtonian or sct.

My question is, what have you found best for viewing and/or imaging the sun with? Thing is, I have not done a lot of solar viewing, and no imaging, so as a newbie, I still have a lot to learn, but with your experience and knowledge would like to expand mine.

chaz

• 2 weeks later...

My goto setup currently is my Celestron XLT102 f/6.5 (660mm) with Quark Chromosphere and ZWO ASI174mm, but is the skies are steady I will swap the 102 with either my Skywatcher 100ED f/9 or Celestron XLT120 F/8.3, for full disk I use my Lunt LS50. I also will break out my Lunt LS80

I just added a Lunt ED102 doublet to replace the XLT102 as the XLT102 is a department store type scope and this should get better quality.  I want to go as big as I can for the atmospheric conditions.

I use a quark and asi174mm as above.

My scope of choice is the William Optics Z61 if I am looking at the wider disc or putting together a mosaic. However, I have also started using the WO Z103ED for more close up work.

I would highly recommend you look into the air spaced

etalon options as you've clearly gotten the solid ones

covered , the beauty of air spaced is they merely require

mounting and that's it ! ... no faffing around.

In my experience (like everything) it's quality over quantity

that counts so the ultimate imho was produced in 

the isle of man.

Brian 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest chaz2b

So I’m taking it that the scope needs to be as good as when planetary viewing? I have a Astro-Tech 90 mm triplet which, when used with Televue Bino, gives excellent views.

At the moment, obtaining a airspace etalon is out of my expenditure. I also have a Hershel wedge.

chaz