SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Okay, I'll try to make this as short as possible. 

Info: I have a EQ5 mount (soon to become motorised and GOTO'd) and, after reading countless astrophotographers praise the QHY PoleMaster, I thought it'd be a good idea to follow in their footsteps and buy myself a PoleMaster. 

I saw nothing about the PoleMaster supporting the EQ5, so I thought I'd ask whether or not the PoleMaster would make my life easier by supporting the EQ5.

Clear skies,

Leon.

Leon the only aspect of PoleMaster which is mount specific is the mounting bracket. So long as you can mount the camera on an axis parallel to the mount's polar axis then it will work . If nobody supplies a specific mounting bracket it should be an easy enough proposition to make one.   For what it's worth, PoleMaster is one of the best astro spends I have made; very simple to use and very effective.  If you want you could even try the sharp cap polar alignment application which would allow you to use an existing camera, again you would need to fashion a suitable mounting bracket. I haven't used the sharp cap application for polar alignment but others praise it highly.  You could try this out first for very little cost before you decide to spend on the PoleMaster.

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're planning on using a guide scope i'd recommend going the sharpcap route. £10 per year and gives exactly the same results. i tried both side by side, luckily i only borrowed the polemaster so wasnt out of pocket. its hard to justify the polemaster expense. 

• Thanks 1

qhy-polemaster-adapter-for-az-eq5

Funnily enough I would agree with both above replies.

I would say I am very happy to have a Polemaster on my HEq5 and personally would agree it has been one of my best buys. Really makes polar alignment easy and as much as anything I am very tall and my back is not great so worth the cash not having to bend down to look through the polar scope every session.

However it is not cheap, probably around £280 new with mount adaptor, especially when you only use it 5 minutes every session and then that's it, and there are other methods as mentioned  above.

So up to you if you can afford the outlay then get one or if the £280 could be better spent on other bit of kit then maybe look at other methods that give you just as good result.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Welp, looks like everyone IS right! Every no I receive, it's pushed back by a yes! Welp, I'll just take Anthonyexmouth's advice and just get SharpCap pro.

Thanks everyone either way!

Clear skies,

Leon.

3 hours ago, LR Watanabe said:

Welp, looks like everyone IS right! Every no I receive, it's pushed back by a yes! Welp, I'll just take Anthonyexmouth's advice and just get SharpCap pro.

Thanks everyone either way!

Clear skies,

Leon.

You can't really go wrong with sharp cap as a first choice as it's only £10 and a good bit of software to have anyway. What gear have you got? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

You can't really go wrong with sharp cap as a first choice as it's only £10 and a good bit of software to have anyway. What gear have you got? 

EQ5 (soon to be motorised and GOTO'd) and a 150 PDS. I know I should've gotten the HEQ5, but I couldn't find a HEQ5 dealer in Japan. I'll save up for the EQ6-R, though.

Just now, Anthonyexmouth said:

what imaging equipment?

It'll probably be a Canon Rebel T3i (600D), a ZWO ASI 120mm Mini for the autoguider camera, a shop-made (probably) 60mm f/4 guide scope, and SharpCap for polar aligning. Is this enough that you feel satisfied? If not, what else would you like to know?

Just now, LR Watanabe said:

It'll probably be a Canon Rebel T3i (600D), a ZWO ASI 120mm Mini for the autoguider camera, a shop-made (probably) 60mm f/4 guide scope, and SharpCap for polar aligning. Is this enough that you feel satisfied? If not, what else would you like to know?

thats all good. thats everything you need to get sharpcap running. 

• Thanks 1