Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Issue with brand new ioptron CEM25P

I recently purchased a CEM25P mount and have an issue with the DEC drive unit.

Specifically, the gear switch locking knob on the encoder unit housing does not lock the dovetail saddle -- and the lock knob itself is very loose-feeling (I can easily wiggle it around). If I try turning the lock knob 90 degrees repeatedly while gradually tightening the tension adjuster, I can eventually get it to "catch" and the dovetail saddle will finally lock. However, at this point the lock knob still feels loose and "wiggles" around.

The RA drive unit doesn't have this problem and its lock knob feels much more secure

Anyone run into this problem?

1556892515376_image.png

1556892521342_image.png

Edited by bokchoy ninja

Hi bockchoy ninja,

I had a ZEQ 25 GTO. Check if there is a spring and a steel ball inside the the turning knob for the DEC axis. Perhaps the steel ball is missing ?

Ther gear switch has only two positions. Lock or open. It does not do anything turning it around several times. In one position it releases the worm in order it can engage the worm gear and the other position is to separate the worm from the worm gear.

When the gear switch allows the worm to engage, yes you can wiggle it a bit as it has to be like that so the worm does touch correctly the worm gear.

The upper know is for applying tension of the worm against the worm gear. You will notice that if fully turned in the mount will stall, SO back up a bit by bit until the axes move nicely without stalling.

regards Rainer

Just an update -- I have contacted the vendor and explained the issue to them. They requested that I send the item back for an exchange.

It may have been a trivial issue (or it might have been serious), but at the end of the day it's certainly not operating as advertised and I'd rather play it safe and get a unit that works as intended.

Thanks for the responses!