SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A night around Ullswater

On Monday night this week A friend and I set off for Hallin Fell in the lake District, just above Ullswater. My only slight concern was the light pollution from Penrith and some of the Hotels on the water's edge as the fashion these days seems to be to set up anti-aircraft lights in the grounds ! Penrith was worse than I thought ? Here's the result from 9x 20 seconds, Nikon Camera, Tamron 15-30 lens @ 19mm and f2.8, ISO 1600. Stacked as usual in Sequator.

These were the last few frames from a timelapse I was shooting. There was some mist around.

1953034787_HallinFell.thumb.jpg.42f472c4b47564518ecd59deb2404189.jpg

A little disheartened we set off down to St. Peter's church in Martindale which was much darker. The sky still suffered from Penrith but it wasn't too bad. I know I should have tried a bit of light painting but I'm not good enough at it ! Here's two frames processed together. Both Nikon D750 and Sigma 14mm lens. The sky was 25 seconds, ISO 3200 @ f2.5 ( It was supposed to be f2.8 ! ) and the foreground was 2 minutes. As it was a bit windy the trees turned into a nightmare to blend ?

509898994_Martindalecolourlayer.thumb.jpg.dfea2d5ed0444e6cc2b787e456514c97.jpg

Finally off to Glencoyne bridge for the wide open lake view. A bit of light from the hotels at the other end but manageable. Nikon D750, 5 x 25 seconds on the Sigma 14mm @ f1.8, stacked in Sequator ISO 3200.

377519267_Ullswaterlandscape2.thumb.jpg.1700841f5dd3b1fbb3c1f4e7eeac8b24.jpg

Al in all a very nice night. Hard work me carrying two cameras and two tripods up Hallin Fell but we lived to tell the tale,

Dave

Edited by davew
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davew said:

I know I should have tried a bit of light painting

Nooo, don't. :)  It looks much more natural without 'artificial' light painting.

I was very disappointed with the LP in the Lake District when I stayed in March.

You silhouetted the church nicely  :)

Looked a worthwhile trip!

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craney said:

Have you tried a  CLS filter for the DSLR   ??.....   May change the colour balance a bit, but hey ho ! .... it might cut out the artificial sunset effect  !!

Oh yes, good of you to mention it. I did try light pollution filters some time ago ( about 10 years ago ! ) and like the effect on long lenses but not over keen on the very wide stuff. I'd have to use a clip in filter because both my lenses don't take screw filters so a try at the more expensive IDAS might help. The sky was VERY bright from Hallin Fell.

Nice idea, cheers,

Dave.

2 hours ago, clarkpm4242 said:

Nooo, don't. :) It looks much more natural without 'artificial' light painting.

I was very disappointed with the LP in the Lake District when I stayed in March.

You silhouetted the church nicely  :)

Looked a worthwhile trip!

Paul

Ok then, you've twisted my arm ?  I should do both I suppose and then I'd have the chance to choose. On balance I think you are right.

My mate and I were discussing our next venture out together and we are leaning towards Keld on a long range trip or the " Usual " Ribblehead on a shorter trip. Keld is dark :)

Dave.

39 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Three awesome images even with the LP. I love the last shot of the lake.

Light pollution can be pretty, that's for sure. It looks ok on the Lake shot and I could have toned it down a bit but if you've got it then flaunt it !

The Lake shot was by far the easiest as I was able to sit on a big rock while the camera did its thing,

Dave.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, davew said:

Keld is dark

Late evening average SQM for Keld this March - 21.54.  Seems to get another 1 to 2 darker later in the night...

...probably September for next proper opportunity though.

• Thanks 1

• davew changed the title to A night around Ullswater

Lovely images. I like them all but particularly the first; the top third of the image shows up what’s hidden by the light pollution, which in itself makes a good backdrop to the partially lit landscape. :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, James said:

Lovely images Dave and don’t worry about the light pollution, I find it often adds to an image like the ones you’ve done ?

17 hours ago, Scooot said:

Lovely images. I like them all but particularly the first; the top third of the image shows up what’s hidden by the light pollution, which in itself makes a good backdrop to the partially lit landscape. :) 

Once again I need it pointing out to me that light pollution isn't all bad ! You are both right of course and I really ought to chill more :)  After all, one of my images was all light pollution not so long ago.

I may have a look at an Optolong clip in filter for more heavily polluted sites but I dither more than a EQ6 on steroids,

Dave.

17 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

nice them Dave :)

Thanks Danny. They look better on this page than they did on the screen :) All we have to do now is hope for another clear night before summer.

Dave.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, davew said:

Thanks Danny. They look better on this page than they did on the screen :) All we have to do now is hope for another clear night before summer.

Dave.

come with me next time, i'll show you the dark corners of Wales :D

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Daniel-K said:

come with me next time, i'll show you the dark corners of Wales :D

That sounds like a plan ! What I'll do is send you a PM later on. 

Dave

21 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Beautiful set of images, the light pollution around Bedfordshire is pretty grim.

Oh thanks Pete. Well worth the effort of getting away from the city.

I have a friend who has a theory of why there seems to be more light around and not less as you'd expect. As LED lights are so cheap to install and run, why would people only have one light when they can have two or three for less money ? I see his point :)

I just had a look at Bedfordshire on Google maps and you are well and truly surrounded aren't you ! ?

Dave.

• Haha 1

Even just driving out of town makes a big difference though. The A1 being illuminated is one of the bigger problems in the town I live in. That and the ridiculous schools and businesses that light thier property up to daylight levels.

It's too bad a short drive away, on the edge of Cambridgeshire.

• Like 1