SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sharpcap

Hi.

Although I am new to astrophotography, I am not new at software, computers, or digital cameras, (to a certain degree). Many years back when sports cams and webcams were the must have, I remember buying this sports tube cam, and I could swear blind it used the sharpcap software. Sharpcap seemed to come with all the cheaper stuff where image manipulation was concerned. I also had photoshop.

So was sharpcap written to cover a mass marketplace mainly in the cheaper domain? Was it written by the Chinese? 

Just odd that it should come into my head, it did pretty much the same as the sharpcap we use on telescope cams. So I suppose what I am getting at is, are the software vastly different between packages? are the purchased ones able to produce better results?

I am no way connected to it, but I have found Sharpcap to work really well, especially with CMOS cameras and it is used to great effect by planetary imagers, along with other, not dissimilar packages. The pay version has a very useful polar alignment routine.