SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Do you keep yours outside?

Wondering whether to upgrade my mount to something bigger and heavier at the end of the year. Means it will probably have to stay outside some of the time, under a cover tarpaulin etc. OTA and controllers brought inside.
Just wondered if anyone has had problems by keeping pillar and head / tripod and head outside under covers. 
Probably in the 'its not recommend', I understand that. 
An obsy would be better, but not on the cards at the moment.

Thanks.

Edited by Fraunhoffer

The HEQ5 mount I use for casual/ solar observing has been outside for the best part of ten years....

Covered by a BBQ cover the only deterioration is the bottom of the tripod - the powder coating on the bottom of the leg castings is starting to peal off.

I just load the ED80 etc. connect the Synscan and power and ready to go.

No issues, no drama.

• Like 3

Lots of people keep stuff out on a pier with a cinched cover.

The key is to keep the water off and moisture out. Things like BBQ covers to the 365 covers have been used. To keep moisture away either heat it or do what I do which is use a large mattress bag and a pack of rechargeable silica gel. It's convenient that during an over night session it's sufficient time to recharge the gel inside an evadry pack.

Mines in a observatory but I still use the bag method above for moisture control.

Edited by cotak
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

The HEQ5 mount I use for casual/ solar observing has been outside for the best part of ten years....

Covered by a BBQ cover the only deterioration is the bottom of the tripod - the powder coating on the bottom of the leg castings is starting to peal off.

I just load the ED80 etc. connect the Synscan and power and ready to go.

No issues, no drama.

Do you use any dehumidifiers or something to keep the moisture out?

My EQ6 mounts have been outside all year round for the past three or 4 years on my pillar, protected by a  Halfords bicycle cover, without a problem.

When I think about it and the sun is shining, I remove the cover for a good few hours to let it 'air' but that's all.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2

My complete setup is out all year round, with the TeleGizmos 365  cover when not in use. I also have a small pet blanket heater in there to keep any moisture at bay as well. I can't reccommend this cover enough, its worth every penny.

• Like 1

Mines outside all the time. Covered mine with 2 kettle drum BBQ covers. So much cheaper than a dedicated telescope cover. I treat one as sacrificial to the dreaded UV and will replace it when it looks dodgy. Beauty is, it looks like a patio heater

15568026592226110088013831682688.thumb.jpg.758092070a2aee139657062a4fc81552.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Mines outside all the time. Covered mine with 2 kettle drum BBQ covers. So much cheaper than a dedicated telescope cover. I treat one as sacrificial to the dreaded UV and will replace it when it looks dodgy. Beauty is, it looks like a patio heater

15568026592226110088013831682688.thumb.jpg.758092070a2aee139657062a4fc81552.jpg

Is that a patio heater Anthony ? 

?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Is that a patio heater Anthony ? 

?

You got me. I try and convince everyone I'm a great astro photographer with all the kit but just bluffing it with £50 heater under a cover. Just like Joey's Porsche in friends. 

Edited by Anthonyexmouth
  • Haha 1

+1 for Puppy Pads. I have three, plus a thermostatic controller.

I have had my Mount, OTAs and Cameras out there for 10 plus years.

Works a treat.

Set up time? 5 minutes tops.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

I'm lucky to have a big overhang over our patio, so it keeps the weather off while allowing air flow through to keep ambient temperature.

I built this simple plywood house mainly to keep the dust out, but also to keep the scope out of view from prying eyes....

.20190503_080524.thumb.jpg.2c666ddc9f50aabf09bf1d8a273e8db6.jpg

Edited by Geoff Barnes
  • Like 1

I used to keep my NEQ6 outside under a BBQ cover from B&Q ( see Avatar )

I never had issues. I would recommend trying to keep it over concrete or similar and not grass. The ground/grass does allow moisture to collect. This is not helpful to the mount. A patio/drive/solid floor will reduce the moisture.

Having said that, over the three or four years outside, my NEQ6 never showed any moisture issues. The only time I brought it inside was when deep snow was forecast....and we all remember deep snow.......I saw it in the movies once ? 

• Haha 1