Complete Novice..... Would you help one? ?

Hi Ladies and Gents

I am on the south coast Selsey way so very dark skies.

I have just relieved a fellow enthusiast of his skywatcher skyliner 300p flex dobs goto.

Zero experience but 100% fascination with the sky.

I have ordered a Barlow Omni 2x and Omni 32mm with moon filter. The seller has listed the following too as part of the sale:

Moonlight dual Crawford focuser. 2” and 1.25”

Telrad finder scope.

Astrozap flex tube cover

Astrozap fitted aperture cover 

The scope body has been fully flocked.

Comes with a set of Bobs Knobs for easy collimation.

Spare 50mm right angle finder scope

Main mirror cover

Laser collamator

Running Synscan ver 03.39.05.

Can I put a DSLR Nikon D3200 on?

What do you suggest I buy?

Can anyone give me any helpful advice?

Is it possible to use these USB cameras that hook up to a laptop? 

Thank you for answering others with such depth I hope I have just a small chunk of advice that will assist me in making the most out of becoming Patrick Moore.

Sincere thank you for reading and never getting those 2 minutes back of your life...! 

The Tearaway ?

Tearaway

Sounds like a good purchase

You can now also get a WiFi adapter for SynScan controller and download the SynScan APP

Been using for a while now, and takes the guess work out of setting up SynScan Controller, as GPS location, Date/time, automatically loaded from your Android mobile device

You can also use SkySafari 6 with the APP

https://skywatcheraustralia.com.au/product/wifi-adapter/

John

Screenshot SynScan APP.jpg

SynScan wifi adaptor.jpg

Beginning with a 300p could prove to be challenging, but it should give fantastic views, so if you hit problems, don't get discouraged and keep coming back to ask for help. (you may not find it difficult, it's just not the sort of scope that is traditionally used to learn the ropes). 

So, if you want to hook up a dslr - that's a few more rungs up the beginner's ladder, so you are really setting yourself a challenge. 

Your first issue is whether you can achieve focus with a dslr. When you switch from an eyepiece to a camera you normally have to rack the focuser in quite a bit - on some scopes the focuser won't actually travel far enough in, and you then have to resort to compromises like using a Barlow lens which is not ideal. Hopefully someone with the same kit as you will be along to advise (if not start a thread and call it something like 'dslr focus with a 300p flex dob?').

Assuming a dslr can achieve focus, you need a nikon t2 adapter for your camera with ideally a 2" barrel, (although I got mine from the 'bay and could only find a 1.25" - found a canon one later that was 2" and the two barrels were interchangeable. I'm on my mobile atm, so it's not easy to provide a link.)

Your next 'problem' is that the Nikon D3200 can't be controlled by the mainstream astrophotography software (like APT) I know, I started with that camera. It is something to do with nikon not releasing an SDK to developers or something... HOWEVER, I don't see this as a problem, as it will simplify things on that front and give you the chance to get familiar with all the other things you'll need to learn. 

To take astrophotos with your D3200 connected to the scope you will need an intervalometer,so that you can automatically take lots of long exposure pics. I got a wireless one for about £20. You'll need to also learn how to take darks, flats and bias shots, but that is still easily done with your intervalometer. I remember that getting focus was a challenge when switching between eyepiece and dslr, so take your time with that. A bahtinov mask is invaluable for this. 

That's probably enough for now - hope this helps.

Ady 

On 02/05/2019 at 03:31, cletrac1922 said:

Tearaway

Sounds like a good purchase

You can now also get a WiFi adapter for SynScan controller and download the SynScan APP

Been using for a while now, and takes the guess work out of setting up SynScan Controller, as GPS location, Date/time, automatically loaded from your Android mobile device

You can also use SkySafari 6 with the APP

https://skywatcheraustralia.com.au/product/wifi-adapter/

John

Screenshot SynScan APP.jpg

SynScan wifi adaptor.jpg

The seller actually ordered me this which comes on Tuesday and as you say it's the guess work taken out. I have the app so just waiting for the hardware to be delivered. Great advice to anyone ??

On 02/05/2019 at 08:57, adyj1 said:

Beginning with a 300p could prove to be challenging, but it should give fantastic views, so if you hit problems, don't get discouraged and keep coming back to ask for help. (you may not find it difficult, it's just not the sort of scope that is traditionally used to learn the ropes). 

So, if you want to hook up a dslr - that's a few more rungs up the beginner's ladder, so you are really setting yourself a challenge. 

Your first issue is whether you can achieve focus with a dslr. When you switch from an eyepiece to a camera you normally have to rack the focuser in quite a bit - on some scopes the focuser won't actually travel far enough in, and you then have to resort to compromises like using a Barlow lens which is not ideal. Hopefully someone with the same kit as you will be along to advise (if not start a thread and call it something like 'dslr focus with a 300p flex dob?').

Assuming a dslr can achieve focus, you need a nikon t2 adapter for your camera with ideally a 2" barrel, (although I got mine from the 'bay and could only find a 1.25" - found a canon one later that was 2" and the two barrels were interchangeable. I'm on my mobile atm, so it's not easy to provide a link.)

Your next 'problem' is that the Nikon D3200 can't be controlled by the mainstream astrophotography software (like APT) I know, I started with that camera. It is something to do with nikon not releasing an SDK to developers or something... HOWEVER, I don't see this as a problem, as it will simplify things on that front and give you the chance to get familiar with all the other things you'll need to learn. 

To take astrophotos with your D3200 connected to the scope you will need an intervalometer,so that you can automatically take lots of long exposure pics. I got a wireless one for about £20. You'll need to also learn how to take darks, flats and bias shots, but that is still easily done with your intervalometer. I remember that getting focus was a challenge when switching between eyepiece and dslr, so take your time with that. A bahtinov mask is invaluable for this. 

That's probably enough for now - hope this helps.

Ady 

I'm just please you have given so much depth of information. I'm waiting for the wifi adapter to come 1st and as it's cloud for the next few days in the Uk south coast there's nothing happening for a bit.

My time is consumed on reading your comments and you tube.

Thank you for taking the time Ady much appreciated.

??

On 02/05/2019 at 07:51, Ronclarke said:

You could use your Nikon DSLR (with an adapter (see FLO)) and APT software

Surprisingly, (for a modern camera), the Nikon D3000-series DSLRs are not supported by APT - see NIKON Support Table on APT (Nikon's fault, not APT)

Ady

I'm not really sure about Astrophotography with a dobsonian, but I s'pose it should be doable.

I'd recommend something like a Sky Watcher AZ-GTi and a simple Maksutov (and a focal reducer) if you're not really going to get into Astrophotography.

Not sure tho.

If you WILL get into Astrophotography, the best option imo is probably a William Optics Zenithstar 61 (with flattener) on a Sky Watcher HEQ5.

Welcome to SGL,  you may well be able to hold a smart phone or dslr to the eyepiece and take snaps (or video),  once you fit your Nikon instead of an eyepiece and manage to get focus I would suggest keeping the exposure length short to start with.  Mostly stacked exposures with the dslr are used on stars, for moon & planets (sun is a different ball game, stay safe) video and possibly the use of the USB cameras you mention above.

Lots to learn and understand, Selsey is a great place to be, scope is a good start - go slow and as you are doing ask questions, I am sure you will get different answers and there is always that little thing you missed.   Enjoy

Have a look at backyard nikon, I use backyard Eos and it's a great tool,, not free but worth the money,

This can be integrated with the free programme Astrotoaster,,

Video on this software can be found on utube,, look out for Carl smith's

(Howie from Oz) 

On 11/05/2019 at 08:11, shirva said:

Have a look at backyard nikon, I use backyard Eos and it's a great tool,, not free but worth the money,

This can be integrated with the free programme Astrotoaster,,

Video on this software can be found on utube,, look out for Carl smith's

(Howie from Oz) 

Thank you for taking time to advise me, I am on it. The DSLR adapters came today and we have a full moon soon so perfect day to start.! 👍🏻

On 06/05/2019 at 11:54, Mick J said:

Welcome to SGL,  you may well be able to hold a smart phone or dslr to the eyepiece and take snaps (or video),  once you fit your Nikon instead of an eyepiece and manage to get focus I would suggest keeping the exposure length short to start with.  Mostly stacked exposures with the dslr are used on stars, for moon & planets (sun is a different ball game, stay safe) video and possibly the use of the USB cameras you mention above.

Lots to learn and understand, Selsey is a great place to be, scope is a good start - go slow and as you are doing ask questions, I am sure you will get different answers and there is always that little thing you missed.   Enjoy

Im just waiting on everything to turn up, the synscan wifi adapter unit is on a waiting list of 8 weeks, eye pieces have gone missing via the post, suppliers warehouses have flooded and refunds given instead of parts and accessories sent so it has been very very slow.

I did attempt to set up the synscan handset for 3 hours on Tuesday until my core temperature was that of a snowman to realise the date format was different to how I'm used to inputting 13th month 5th day and year 2019 I kept putting in and made the assumption the enter button was faulty. So that was 3 hours I will never get back of my life...! 🤣

On 06/05/2019 at 11:06, LR Watanabe said:

I'm not really sure about Astrophotography with a dobsonian, but I s'pose it should be doable.

I'd recommend something like a Sky Watcher AZ-GTi and a simple Maksutov (and a focal reducer) if you're not really going to get into Astrophotography.

Not sure tho.

If you WILL get into Astrophotography, the best option imo is probably a William Optics Zenithstar 61 (with flattener) on a Sky Watcher HEQ5.

I will google all and read up as it’s all Swahili right now. But definitely want to get past the neighbours chimney asap and maybe an object in the sky one day 👍🏻 

On 05/05/2019 at 23:29, adyj1 said:

Surprisingly, (for a modern camera), the Nikon D3000-series DSLRs are not supported by APT - see NIKON Support Table on APT (Nikon's fault, not APT)

Ady

On 05/05/2019 at 23:29, adyj1 said:

Ady

I think its to do with it being the entry level DSLR and not a full frame. 

Im guessing but nonetheless you are correct that Nikon have not been listed to APT on the D3200.

Could I use a £200 digital sensor CMOS type thing instead, USB to Mac and image that way??? 

7 hours ago, TheTearaway said:

I did attempt to set up the synscan handset for 3 hours on Tuesday until my core temperature was that of a snowman to realise the date format was different to how I'm used to inputting 13th month 5th day and year 2019 I kept putting in and made the assumption the enter button was faulty. So that was 3 hours I will never get back of my life...! 🤣

If you have an android phone the 'SynScanInit 2' app is really good for telling you what to type in, in the right format... (also shows the polar angle for polar alignment, if you need it)

Here's an example (not mine);

Screenshot Image 

HTH

Ady

Archived