Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
eshy76

NGC281 The Pacman Nebula in Narrowband

Hi everyone,

This has been on my hard drive for some months, so nice to have finally got round to processing it! Shot over several nights in January in my back garden.

NGC 281, also known casually as the Pacman Nebula, is a bright emission nebula and part of an H II region in the northern constellation of Cassiopeia and is part of the Milky Way's Perseus Spiral Arm. It lies about 9,500 light years from us and is 48 light years across.

As the final version, I've gone for a crop, which I think holds up well, though I'll include the wider fov version in the next post.

I used a more natural colour blend for this image:

R = 76%*Ha + 24%*SII
G = 100%*OIII
B = 85%*OIII + 15%*Ha

For some reason, I was not expecting much from this image, but the result looks like it will be one of my favourites...the narrowband data was really good!

Captured using APT, stacked using APP and processed in Pixinsight.

5.4 hours integration time.

Link to full details and higher res version.

Thanks for looking!

NGC281_2019_01_20_Natural_Crop-900x676.png.6758d4dabd29f31772c9f8c36fa916fe.png

• Like 4

And here's the original field of view

NGC281_2019_01_20_Natural_Wide-900x678.png.4befc01779f9add16b85429d2f176cdf.png

• Like 2

Both look very nice indeed and to think you were not expecting much from, turned out well, must try this myself when my roof allows me to.

Alan

25 minutes ago, alan potts said:

Both look very nice indeed and to think you were not expecting much from, turned out well, must try this myself when my roof allows me to.

Alan

Thank you Alan - yes, I collected the data pretty much as a side project to the tadpole/flaming star mosaic I was working on. It wasn't one of my primary targets for the winter - I was also after M45 and the Horsehead - so the data just got forgotten. But processing the clean narrowband data was a pleasure and NGC 281 itself surprised me with its pillars of dust and the little star cluster at its heart. It's a beautiful object in its own right, which I realised when I zoomed in.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By masjstovel
      Hi,
      I bought my first telescope, SW 150pds about 6 months ago with the purpose of astroimaging "when i feel ready".  So far ive used my Nikon D810 for that, and I'm now  planning on taking the step buying my first AP camera.
      My targets would be DSO's, and not planetary. I want a mono-camera, not color. 

I want to get away with a very good camera to a reasonable price (wouldn't we all...) and in this regard I've been drooling on the ZWO ASI 1600MM Mono for some time. The price for it is in the upper part of my budget, but I'm willing to if its worth it.  I've seen from other treads that sensor-size isn't everything, and dynamic range and gain and all is just as important, but i have trouble understanding it all 100% when it's all new to me, but in my experience i am a practical person who learns things much better and faster with the gear in my hand. So without getting to technical, and staying as objective as possible - please help me with; 

1. Is this a good camera to go for?
      2. It's sold with options of filters 1.25", 31mm or 36mm - Why these options, and what determines what i would choose?

3. Would you go for another camera in this price range, and why? - Or to rephrase it a bit; If you were in my shoes, which camera would you og for?

I'd appreciate any help:)

I might add, that i understand that with my lack of experience, buying a mono-camera with filters and all might seem premature, but for some strange reason. I enjoy these "way over my head"-projects and figuring  out things as time goes - I just need some guiding in the right direction. 
    • By Gary Shaw
      Hi All I’m considering purchasing an 8”aperture, f3.8 newtonian ( primarily for EAA) from Orion UK and would appreciate any input or feedback from anyone familiar with the product, the company or the purchasing process - and how to assess the compatibility with my current cameras.
      This is would be a step up from my current equipment and entails selecting components that I’ve never used and know little about such as a rack and pinion focuser and components (ACU-3L), and coma corrector (Wynne Corrector). I’ve added links to these items below.  I’m also feeling unsure of how to mate up my Zwo 178 and 294 cameras to the 3” focuser and whether there will be an acceptable match between the scope optics and my sensors.
      I’m sure the folks at Orion UK will assist with all this but I’d sure welcome input from the Stargazer's Lounge community before starting the dialog with Orion UK.
      thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
      Gary
      ACU-3L Focuser selection Info: https://www.orionopt...sers.html#ACU3L
      Wynne Corrector selection Info: https://www.orionopt...torsfittin.html

• By ruskclark
      The Wizard Nebula
      An emission nebula 7,200 light years away and my first proper project of the new imaging year. 
      Really happy with it as I’ve had a steep learning curve with new kit so really pleased to see this image come together. It’s also the first time I’ve imaged it. 
      72x180s subs collected over 2 nights 24/25th August in my Bortle 7 back garden, Whitley Bay, England
      Calibrated with darks, flats and dark flats in DSS and processed in SiriL and Photoshop. 
      Lacerta 72mm f/6 APO
      ZWO ASI1600MC Pro at -15C gain 200
      iOptron CEM25p
      ZWO 60mm guide scope
      ZWO ASI120MM-S guide camera
      Altair Astro 2” Tri Band OSC Filter
      Data collected in APT and guided with PHD2

• By MarsG76
      The Omega Nebula, aka The swan Nebula, M17/NGC6618 imaged in Narrowband and combined in Hubble palette style. The photo was imaged with a astromodded and cooled DSLR through a 8" SCT across multiple networks gets from 28 July - 8 August 2019.
    • By MarsG76
      The Omega Nebula, aka The swan Nebula, M17/NGC6618 imaged in Narrowband hAo3hB as RGB. The photo was imaged with a astromodded and cooled DSLR through a 8" SCT across multiple networks gets from 28 July - 4 August 2019.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.