Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First full month of radio meteor observations

That's great James, really pleased for you.

My heat map looks a little different, but I'm cautious: the numbers seem quite high, even for the peak of a shower.  The peaks in the evenings of the 20th and 23rd may be noise radiated by next door's heating system.

image.png.fb8880ae4c772915b1e27053aa3d4e00.png

That said, beyond the obvious curious evening peaks in my data, there are some similarities.  The "switch on" of incoming strikes on or around the 17th/18th, the background rates and the relative lack of strikes in the evenings of the first half of the month are similar in both sets of data.

I'll need to look more closely at my data to see what those evening peaks represent.

Richard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good work James.  You seem to have removed any moon echoes which I assume you get.  I had large counts which needed to be filtered out form the results.  I think my results look quite similar albeit upside-down to yours.  I am a fiddler so that accounts for the gaps in my data 😉

2019-05-13_183640.png.fc000ea17124e727f6019f3af961525c.png

The BAA handbook gives ZHR at maximum of 15.  Don't know if the ZHR is for visual observers - anyone know?  Even with the background non-stream "sporadics" of uo to 25 there are still some hotspots of activity  some 40 counts per hour above this.  

Edited by Geminids
update
  • Like 1