Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

cats-perch observing chair

Lurcher

Hi all,

I've been looking at all the wonderful home-made cats-perch observing chairs on-line and on here, and after getting a stiff neck and shoulders when sketching I decided to have a go myself last weekend.

Big thanks to anyone who has ever built one and posted their own photos on-line. I've probably looked at them and found them a massive help in helping me put mine together. The BBC's Sky at Night's article was also brilliant help.

It was satisfying to find a use for an old piece if board that's been sitting around in my garage since the day we moved in for the main back board. (Up until now I'd been using it as a board to stand on when I'm sowing seeds in my vegetable patch. It cleaned up ok!).

Sorry it's nothing new or original, and it's not the best I've seen by a long way; but I can't wait to try it out when doing some more sketches of the moon.

Cheers all.

DSCF3510.JPG

DSCF3512-003.JPG

DSCF3513-003.JPG

DSCF3514-003.JPG

• Like 9

15 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Could use a flap wheel in a drill to smooth out the top hand hold

I'd never heard of a flap wheel so I looked one up. Yeah that would have helped! I might get one and finish it off a bit better one day. Although I was determined not to buy a new drill bit which I desperately needed so who knows!

• 5 months later...

@Lurcher How's the chair going...? 

I'm thinking of making one shortly, any retrospective do's and dont's.  I'll be making a proto type first our of Redwood Pine (won a Wicks voucher through work, so thought why not) then maybe going for a full hard wood version in the new year..?

All the best

Fozzie